Anyone tried Coconut Oil to treat dementia?

I've been hearing really good stuff from more than one source. anyone have any experience and idea of dosage?

49

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
as with anything you have to research. there are NO guarantees for anything that will cure dementia, maybe help to slow it or improve a little. but it also depends how far along the dementia is and ones own personal body chemistry makeup. Just because you take something and you don't see any improvements doesn't mean nothing is happening. as with anything we all don't get fat instantly, we don't lose our memory instantly and so does the fix, it doesn't happen instantly, it takes quite awhile for some things to improve or change. We are in a society where we think things should happen in the "blink or twitch of our bewitched nose". I think the regular pharmaceutical companies are out to make the bigger buck for harmful chemicals more so than "natural" products. but to each his own. We all have to research and do what we think is best for us or our loved ones.

Check this YouTube video for a doctor who cured her husband with coconut oil.
youtube/watch?v=P_LGR617_Yk

I never heard of coconut oil being seriously helpful for dementia. If this should be the case (???) why are there then so many people who are in nursing homes who have to be helped as a baby of a couple of months. They can not eat themselves, taking a shower, washing their hair, brushing their teeth, speaking, etc... When my husband had Alzheimer's at an early stage, everybody talked about Gingko Biloba. Although the doctors and specialists told me that this was just a commercial tric, of course we tried it. My husband has taken it for over a year. The results were 0.000. Then I was told that it did not work for people with dementia, but was much helpful for "normal" people to increase their memory and concentration. I have tried it out myself. With the max. dose each day. I stopped after 6 months. Did it help ?? NO !! NO !! NO !!
Of course it is harmless, so you can always give it a try, but to be honest, I think that again it is just a food supplement, as there are a few 1000 over the world. As long as no scientific reports are issued in specialized magazines, those things cost of lot of money and that's all. I wish you all the best and a very big hug.

I buy unrefined coconut oil, but I have bought LouAna and used it to fry and to cook with. No need to throw it away. Use it instead of shortening. Should be great for biscuits and cake making, especially confectioneries frosting.

Jessie - LouAna is a cheap, refined coconut oil. It's ok for using to fry or to put on your skin, but if you want unrefined, unbleached, unaltered coconut oil, you will need to buy "unrefined, virgin coconut oil" - Spectrum, Nutiva or any other brand that is labeled "unrefined" - that's the kind that tastes/smells mildly like coconut, and has not been bleached or altered to remove the taste/smell of coconut.

sherry, we must have different coconut oil. Mine tastes more like shortening -- not at all like coconut. Maybe I should have bought a different brand. This is the LouAna. It says it is 100% pure, so I thought it would be good stuff.

Wow, JessieBell, I use coconut oil for lots of things, but not for the items you mentioned. I use it in my cornbread & to replace oil in some other recipes, It gives a nice subtle coconut flavor to anything you cook with it. Seems as though it would work instead of butter for cake-making. It is good for making raw chocolate candy also. Check online for recipes. I put it in pudding and give it to my mother daily as suggested for Alzheimer's.

You can fry with it if you don't use high heat; because it does melt into a thin liquid a little goes a long way. Great for eggs! My daughter uses it as part of the shortening in cookies; and if there is something that you'd like to hold its shape in the frig, mix in a little when it's liquid and it'll firm up when chilled. Also, add a little bit to hand or face lotion or cream; it'll make a smaller amount of lotion go farther.

Jessie - if you are massaging coconut oil into your skin, the rule of thumb is like the old Brylcreem commercial - "a little dab will do ya!" - use very, very sparingly. It melts very quickly on your skin due to your body heat. A small, pea-sized amount is all I need to rub on my shins where the skin is thin due to a genetic disorder, and it tends to crack and bleed in the winter. I use it every morning on my shins, elbows, toes and heels.

No, definitely don't put coconut oil down your drains. If you use it for oil pulling (swishing it around in your mouth for oral health), spit it into the trash - don't spit it into your sink or other drains. When coconut oil gets cold, it hardens - FAST - and even though it melts easily with heat applied, you wouldn't want to put this into your city's water system or your septic tank - that would be real trouble.

I keep my coconut oil on my kitchen counter or in a cabinet at room temperature. It doesn't spoil. I can judge the temperature in the room by the state my coconut oil is in - LOL. It's ok for your coconut oil to turn to liquid and back to solid again - it won't hurt it. You don't need to keep it in the fridge unless you want to struggle to get it out of the jar it's in - it turns rock hard in the fridge. I made that mistake only ONCE.

1 2 3 4 5