Anyone see any benefit from the dementia drugs?

Mom and Dad mid 80s, Dad with mild moving to moderate dementia. It's breaking my Moms heart to be losing her hubby. She sees all the commercials for the drugs on tv with the happy dementia people and keeps asking me if I think we should try one or the other.

His doc thinks they are worthless and I've read nothing that justifies the cost and the side effects for the minimal benefits. Are we right or should I ask the doc to prescribe the stuff?

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
My husband died 10 years after his Alzheimers diagnosis He used some of the usual RX drugs, but I could not see any effect. I also gave him coconut oil, and Baccopa. He remained cheerful and grateful and appreciative till the end.

The only benefit that I could see with my Mom's regimen of taking these drugs was the hope that it gave both she and I in taking them. And they are expensive. The drugs are not supposed to improve the memory, just slow down the loss of it. Having seen my Dad with Alzheimer's and now my Mom with Senile Dementia, I can't say that there was much difference in the progression of the disease. Hope this helps you make your decision. I know it is a difficult one.

I gave my husband coconut oil (1-2T a day in coffee and cooking), niacinimide (B-3) daily, bacopa (daily- an herb from India), and lots of turmeric in cooking. He lived for 1 years after his alzheimer's diagnosis, remained in good mood, very expressive of appreciation of me and his home. I continue to take these supplements as I have the disease in my family.

Exelon is for Alzheimers and
Parkinsons. My father in law suffered from Alzheimers for about 10 years before he died at age 85. The rapid progression of his dementia did seem to slow once he started on Aricept and Namenda, but eventually he even forgot his son and had just started to forget his wife when he passed away. I never saw a reversal of his symptoms on the Aricept and Namenda the way I saw a reversal of my Mom's dementia on Exelon.

The Exelon is for Parkinson's patients, right?

This is something that I have difficulty understanding. It's been stated on this thread and is what the official comments state and what the doctors say, but, I just don't get it. Supposedly, the dementia meds Aricept and Namenda can keep the person at the level they are functioning at longer, but, they cannot slow down the disease. I just don't see how that makes sense. Can someone explain it? I'm really serious. It sounds like a contradiction to me.  Or they promise you that it can keep the symptoms at bay, but, they can't slow down the disease.  I have trouble with those professions. 

Two years ago my mother at 88 began to think I was her sister rather than her daughter. She also was having so much difficulty talking that she had stopped her daily phone calls with her (actual) sister. We got her a prescription for Exelon patches. The effect was immediate and amazing. She still has memory issues, but for two years her memory for loved ones is still intact and still loves to talk! In her case this is a miracle drug.

Mother has been diagnosed with beginning stages of alzheimer's/ pleasant dementia. I am with her every day in a Personal Care Unit at a Senior Facility. She is afraid when she can't remember. Other than that, she knows what she wants, she is social, she asks what day it is, but can think through matter and come up with good judgment decisions and good conversation. She takes Aricept. Because of her age, 99, people think and assume that she is incompetent. I am blamed for her decisions regarding when she is full at meal times, when she wants to go out for lunch or go to pick up the cat at my house to bring back to her apartment for a (day) visit. Finding her exciting things to do perks her up. Her memory is better when she is stimulated by a challenge/ activities.

This next opinion is taken from Web MD; "Donepezil (Aricept) may improve memory, awareness and ability to function." Isn't this contradictory to the previous post from Drugs. com?

Now let's see what the leader in Alzheimer's disease, (Alz.org) has to say about Aricept; "(it is used) to treat the cognitive symptoms (memory loss, confusion and problems with thinking and reasoning from Alzheimer's disease." Also, "(it can) delay worsening of symptoms for 6-12 months in about half the people who take it." What kind of odds are those?
As you can see, there are mixed opinions all over the board with this drug. My mother went from stage 3 to stage 6 in 3 years while taking it. I saw no "leveling off" in one stage, just a moderate decline in mental process. It's a flip of a coin as to whether it will work or not for your loved one, in my humble opinion (given the research).

Taken from Drugs website;
"Aricept can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions." Isn't that why they are taking it?....to IMPROVE (not impair) their thinking and reactions???? What the heck! I think I'll have another talk with the gerontologist about this.

Sounds interesting. As a diabetic, I'm interested in the Nattokinase. I'll has ask my endocrinologist about it. Thanks.

1 2 3 4