Anyone know of a respite stay at an Assisted Living shorter than 30 days?

I live on Long Island, NY. I am looking to have mom stay for two weeks at an AL while I vacation with my grown kids.
I toured one and they said they no longer provide the short stay, that it will need to be 30 days. That is what I'm finding with another chain. Anyone know of any that will do it?
Home aides are not an option.

17

Answers

Carolellen: You initially had posted that you were looking to place your mother in an AL for 2 weeks. Good luck, then.

😂. Certainly not even close to saintly! I read alot of the posts from people here. Most times I can't believe that I have it a lot better than others. I'm grateful that she can still manage her own ADLs and that she can have a conversation. I'm hopeful that she will enjoy hanging at the beach house watching her grandkids and great grandchild swarm about. I noticed she just loves to be sitting in the fray.... then she naps ...comes back out , sits in the chair , eats then repeat!! As for me I intend on having plenty of beer on ice. My grown 20somethings will lend a hand. So if you hear a story about a grandma who's wheelchair was put on top of water skis ? You'll know who it was!! This will for sure be the biggest trip of her life! ( parents from the depression , did nothing for themselves!!) true I never wanted to take her, but now it sounds like I'm talking myself into it. And it's only for one week not two. Thanks for listening.

Carolellen: Wow! All I can say is that you must be a saint to not only have your mother living with you, but also taking her on a two-week vacay! Good gosh! Do YOU expect to have much, if any, fun?

Contact your local Area Agency on Aging, They can give you Caregiver Support and assist in finding a placement for Mom so you can have respite time.

Hey Llamalover47
I just saw your question, I didn't realize to advance the screen! Ugh!
Anyway if I can't find another arrangement then I will take her with me. My sis in law offered to stay but mom manipulates so much by playing up her medical conditions ( heart disease) that She sucks everyone in. She loves to go to the hospital and get the million dollar work up. She's fine for a few nights but I don't have faith for much longer. We live together in a Mother/daughter home. But even that arrangement had only been one year. If I knew then what I know now. I never would have disrupted my whole life to move in with her( and my amazing husbands ). 20/20 hindsight right?!

Check with your local hospice. They provide a respite service under Medicare, which is federal. They have a list of all short term facilities in the area, so should be able to recommend someone to you. They won't pay, of course, but I would think they could help with a referral.

Carolellen: So the plan is to take mom with you?

Thanks to everyone. A place for mom was contacted, they are unable to find a shorter stay as well. I suppose it can be a regional thing as previously noted above. I'll keep looking , I have until March.

I, too, have used a Place for Mom successfully. The woman with whom I worked was quite helpful and nice. She only referred to certain communities, however -- I'm guessing that each area has arrangements with certain communities and not with others, but that's just a guess. The norms on respite stays seem to be regional. In the area in which my mom lives, there's great variability and many options -- she's in KC. One can get a respite stay for quite short periods if necessary. Taking your mom along is a lovely idea, and I hope that it works out well for you.

PS A Place for Mom is a free service