Anyone know how to successfully treat a bad cough due to phlegm?

My dad is 83 and lives with my family and I full time. He has Parkinson's along with other problems, although I know this issue is due to the Parkinson's. He has been having a terrible cough because he gets that phlegm that comes with PD not in his throat and not in his lungs but right in between. When it gets stuck there, he cannot cough it up or swallow it down so he gets this deep honking cough going on which keeps him up half the night. Now he's like a zombie. Sleeping all the time. He has been prescribed tessalon perles and they do thin the mucous, but it's just not enough to get rid of it one way or the other. Anyone have any suggestions?

25

Answers

1 2 3
My moms doctor suggested Mucinex but because she is older he wrote a prescription for a dose that is 600mg. The over the counter is 1200mg. This has helped a lot.
Reply to cwheel

I had a chronic cough for several years with excess mucus production that made me feel like I was drowning. No medications helped. I tried everything. Doctors could not diagnose me. Then through diet elimination I learned I was allergic to wheat/gluten (even though blood tests said I wasn't). When I cut the wheat/gluten from my diet, my cough stopped within 24 hours. When I reintroduced it, it started right back up again. My dad also had Parkinson's and loved his bread. He ate it 3 times a day. He had similar issues and looking back I wonder if he too had a wheat or gluten allergy. I believe a lot of our illnesses today are food related, not because the type of food itself is bad, but because of how it is produced and handled (pesticides, GMO, etc.) Read this: livestrong.com/article/530669-gluten-allergy-cough/ Try cutting wheat/gluten from his diet for a week and see if he improves. Then you'll have your answer.
Reply to bld567

A few suggestions:
#1 Does he have a pulmonologist that may be able to offer suggestions?
#2 Have him sleep with at least three pillows.
#3 Guaifenesin use should be monitored.
#4 Do not use Guaifenesin/DM.
#5 No dairy products should be consumed.
Reply to Llamalover47

Lilacalani has a good point. I don't buy milk in plastic jugs anymore, opting for "real milk" sold in glass jar at Kroger. When I drink the plastic jug milk, or eat alot of cheese products, I get a 'thick' inner ear and/or mucus feeling. Yech!! Incidently, I just read that years ago, milk had a Cassien (?) # of 2. It is now at 4/5. Reason it's higher is the way they feed/medicate the cattle now. Wheat is definitely another problem. You might also make sure the sugar/carb intake is not high.
Reply to Sidesaddle

On the Dr's TV series it was mentioned that eating grapes would help alleviate mucous. I was coughing up large wads of mucous every morning due to COPD plus numerous medications so I tried it, IT WORKS. I've been eat grapes every night for the few years and very few problems since.
Reply to 4TerryW

Hubby has advanced Parkinsons and paralyzed vocal chords, issues swallowing. Speech therapist and otolaryngologist suggested a med slant to raise his upper body while sleeping.
(Amazon or at med slant online)
Has worked
Reply to Happyheart70

A cup of hot water with a tablespoon of raw honey, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, and lemon juice to add will take the phlegm out and stop the cough good luck
Reply to Carolyn55

SafetySarah raises a good point about using a nebulizer. A pulmonary doctor could script for it. It's been used repeatedly for my father's bouts of dysphasia and pneumonia.

Annie also makes a good point about positioning. Laying at an angle, with the torso somewhat elevated (30 degrees, per a speech pathologist we saw), helps, as do the incentive spirometer and flutter valve.

Lila doesn't post very often but when she does, her advice is always on point, and naturalistic. I had forgotten that dairy fluids can thicken mucous.

Lots of other good suggestions here. Definitely worth saving for future use.

I have COPD and a lot of drainage from sinus down back of throat, its normal, alot of people have this post nasal drip. Nasal spray of a saline solution, drys up the cavity reducing the extra phlegm.
Reply to hine57

I am 80 and have had a phlegmy cough for about 25 years. Had a balloon sinuplasty to clear sinuses, but it didn't help cough. Last year I had CT scan and discovered I had atypical pneumonia--MD did not treat, and this year CT scan shows the same. Still no treatment! I am used to it now, but have a hard time finding traveling companions!
Reply to Arleeda

1 2 3