Has anyone filed a legal action against Hospice for premature deaths from medications and results?

If anyone on this site believes their loved ones were rushed by over-medicating them by any hospice and filed a lawsuit, please let me know and if there were any results in the case at all. Thank you so much for you help.

24

Answers

1 2 3
Abandoned, in the dying process the organs fail, the body shuts down and giving someone food or water won't help them, on the contrary it hurts them. Moistening the mouth would help.

My husband's deceased wife was cancer free and NOT terminal and hospice "eased" her out anyway.

My husband's deceased wife was cancer free and NOT terminal and they killed her anyway.

My father is in hospice care and they won't give him water, how is this supposed to be COMFORT CARE?!?

Even if you were to sue and win, most medical malpractice and wrongful death awards are based on loss of future potential income and pain and suffering.

A businessman in his 40's dies due to medical malpractice and the family wins a lawsuit, the award would be based on his current income, expected career path/future income and his career expectancy.

A woman in her 90's and in a fragile medical state....?

I think it's just too hard to prove even if you did sue. I have quite a few theories on why my Mom died when she did. She had been given Tamiflu while in the nursing home because of a flu outbreak there. I saw her condition just plummet very fast after that. A week later she died in the hospital. No one knows exactly why. They gave her an MRI first night in hospital which showed no sign of stroke, brain bleed, nothing. She was scheduled for a second one the next day and I was bullied into not getting it done by this arrogant doctor. The neurologist had told us the day before that she just had a severe bladder infection when the doctor in charge told us she was paralyzed on her right side. But when the neurologist spoke to us he grabbed my mom's hand and she had grip strength on both sides. So, to this day I have never been truly content and settled about what happened. But on the other hand, suing the hospital or the doctor in charge or what have you won't bring Mom back and I doubt I could prove anything of what I am saying anyhow.

So, sometimes you just have to swallow it and move on.

You can sue over anything. I sincerely believe you will end up with nothing but attorney bills, including the hospice's who will likely counter-sue for attorney's cost.

Apparently the police and prosecuting attorney allow the family power of attorney to over medicate terminally ill by administering more care medication than even the Hospice physicians prescribe. Nothing can be done to the POA, both Hospice and Police will not prosecute.

my mother was alert eating yelling at times the hospice staff was pushey in a nice was. i said no for 2+yrs they kept on asking me to put my mom in hospice,id be helping her they told me. shes in too much pain . i tried to tell them i just lost my son suddenly. itold them im not ready my mom was so strong a fighter. the next day 24 hrs in hospice she never spoke or ate.sleep and looked as if she was trying to fight it. im not a dr. but i know right from wrong. its as if the hospice is so used to dealing w/ death they forgot how to live or have real compassion or none. they had me take her home , i asked over and over about her condition was given mixed answers. if i take her home it will be best for her and id get to be there more ,her bed was next to mine a small apt;thats ok. its too sad/scary to put in a comment. anyone ???lorianderson

Daughter3, have you found any answers? I too believe hospice hastened my mothers desth! She too broke a hip and had no terminal disease. They overmedicated my mom refused our directive to stop the multiple drug combo. Ultimately I believe my mom died of kidney failure due to severe dehydration. This has got to be a crime! It's like the Liverpool care pathway in England

1 2 3