Has anyone else taken up adult coloring books?

I find that I can watch much more t.v. with hubby if I color. My choice to relax is reading but I am trying to spend more time with my Bob. With Netflix and coloring this seems to be working for now. My new book to color is Ugly Holiday Sweaters I can finish one an evening . The dementia is not going to go away I am just trying to learn to roll with it.

18

Answers

My mom said she wanted one but hasn't picked it up. She said the first one I got was "too hard" but then I got her on with owls which she liked. Still she won't use it. Very frustrating...

Yes! I have a very detailed one of flowers for pencils , and a kids one for crayons=You can get very detailed doing shadowing and making things look real if you want :) My mother balked at first, then next thing you know she was following my lead

Susan, you are not a child.... it IS so relaxing to just pick up a pencil and color... our lives has so many 'have to's' and so much attention has to be paid to too many things.... sometimes that's what I do, just color, and maybe that little step back into innocence is exactly what I need... enjoy just picking up the pencil and not giving it any thought... beauty and art are in the eyes of the beholder.... glad you are enjoying yourself for a change !!

I have also started coloring as a form of meditation.. definitely no serious art for me either. I took a coloring book to my dad with dementia and my elderly mom and they actually seemed to enjoy it as well.

I love art too but I'm kind of with Susan and loving to have something that lets me drift away from the cares of caregiving and lets my mind wander...sometimes that is when I'm most creative ....kind of like my leaf raking therapy...just getting out there and enjoying doing something, feeling the breezes, and letting my mind drift... :)

Susan, I hope my comments didn't offend you; I was just trying to make the distinction between relaxed, enjoyable pastime coloring vs. coloring that requires a lot of planning.

Well, I guess I'm a child then. :-/

Susan, I think the "mindless activity that requires no thought other than what color to choose next" might reflect the approach of children or someone who doesn't see coloring as an art form, but there are some very sophisticated colored pencil artists who put as much effort into their drawings as master painters did with theirs. It's a whole 'nother level of art, one that's relaxing but also very complicated and requires a lot of study and practice.

I think many people don't realize that there are colored pencil societies devoted to just these kinds of arts.

ukcps.cok/ukcps/gallery.php

Check out this member's gallery:
ukcps.co/members/bauduin_f/

Look at the alertness of the eyes in the larger cat in the first photo.

Or look at the cat at this member's gallery:
ukcps.co/members/garmashova_cawton/index.php

Check out the cottage in this member's gallery:
ukcps.co.uk/members/heilbronn_crown/

The study, time and effort spent to create lifelike cats as these artists have done is very complex, and requires a lot of skill and knowledge. I've tried it; it's not easy, especially to create the depth perception. 'Tis a whole new level of colored pencil activity.

I LOVE THEM!!! I just ordered the Harry Potter one for my 28 year old daughter, and a Game of Thrones one for myself. (Amazon) They have a Dr. Who one too. I also like doing the Mandalas, as someone mentioned above. It is so relaxing. I'm also working on my Master's Degree and have ordered the Anatomy coloring books that have the internal workings of different animals. It helps me study, without feeling like I'm studying.

They do help relieve stress a little and help me wind down. It's just a mindless activity that requires no thought other than what color to choose next, and your mind can just chill for a while. We have to make so many decisions every day, it's nice to just have something mindless to do. I'm looking forward to getting a riding lawnmower next spring and letting my mind wander while I mow. It used to be one of my favorite activities.

In a conversation with other "Constant Readers" of Stephen King's works, I brought up that it would be great to have a Stephen King-based adult coloring book. Hundreds of people agreed, so I contacted his reps to see if it was possible to get permission to use the characters/locations in an adult coloring book. No go. :-( Oh well. Would have been fun to create one.