Has anyone been given Flomax (Tamsulosin) to help pass kidney stones?

Went to ER on 7/24 for Kidney Stone Event. CAT Scan and Urine test done. Preliminary showed no infection. There was to be a culture done. I was given pain pills and nausea meds which I have not had to use along with Flomax. But, since starting Flomax I have been really spaced out. Can't concentrate or focus. Today urine goes dark again with bad odor. I remembered about culture. Anyway, went to Walk In Clinic affiliated with hospital ER hoping they had access to culture results and get checked again. Culture was positive on 7/24. Nurse Practioner tosses around sending me to hospital or prescribing antibiotics. She calls in a RX based on fact I have no fever. My follow up with Urologist is Tuesday. So, kinda wondering if anyone has any experience with Flomax making them feel "kinda crazy". I have been told by Nurse and Nurse Practioner that is not one of the side effects.

19

Answers

Some stones are too large to pass and need to be broken up by lithotripsy. 5 mm is pretty good size. No wonder your in pain. If you gold what a stone looks like under microscope they will amaze you how jagged they are. That's why they hurt! Plus the inside of the ureter is mucosa lined and not tough.

ff,
I have had a couple of stones in the past. 2008 and 2009. 2008 was a 3mm that passed on its own. 2009 was a 5-7mm that had to be removed.

I was pretty sure Stones were the problem when I went to the hospital on the 24th. CAT Scan that day showed 5 mm stone north of bladder and 4 smaller stones (4mm) in kidneys along with some tiny stones.

I did pass a tiny stone on 7/27.

Yes, I have been panning for the larger stones since 7/24. Yuk.

The pain and nausea have been tolerable. Appears most of the problem was the drug ( Flomax) that was supposed to help pass the large stone.

24 hours until Urologist appointment.

I remember my last kidney stone problem... went to urgent care... had that mild pain on one side of my back, I had this decades ago so I remember the symptoms. While at Urgent care they hooked me up to an IV to get a lot of water in my system, a really good flush so to speak [pun intended].

Then went home to drink even more water. Used what is called a top hat urine catcher to check for a stone... felt like I was panning for gold. Eventually couple days later that ever so tiny stone appeared !!

Sometimes I think doctors overreact by running so many tests. If one has had a kidney stone in the past, that patient knows the signs of a new stone.

I have an appointment with a Urologist tomorrow. That appointment was made on 7-25. The appointment just can't get here soon enough! Yesterday I developed a rash. Called pharmacy. Apparently from the Cipro. Again. Urologist appointment can not get here soon enough.

My Urologist retired. I am seeing this Urologist tomorrow as a new patient.

I'm confused. I thought you were going to see a urologist not your PCP for this condition. If you have kidney stones then a urologist is who you should see.

Oh, I am glad your brain-fog is gone! With luck, so is your kidney stone!

Thank you for posting your progress. And yes, it might be time for a new doctor.

Conversation with Health Insurance Registered Nurse went well.

She suggested to take the latest prescribed antibiotic (cipro) rather than the ER prescribed (Macrobid?).

She suggested ditching the Flomax. I only had one left anyway. I usually take that first thing in the morning. Today I did not. At 2pm the Brain Fog seems to be completely gone!

After I described my problems getting culture results and just state of affairs at PCPs office, Health Insurance Registered Nurse agreed it's time to make a change. She's compiling a list of Drs in my area that take new patients that are in good standing. Sending me list by email early next week.

Taking it easy and waiting for Urology Appt Tuesday.

The Drs appt didn't go well. Receptionist booked me after last Patient of the day. They close at noon on Friday. Doc walks in grumpy about 1:45. He couldn't pull up my visit to ER or Walk In Clinic on his computer. So he couldn't see Labs, radiology.

We had a ridiculous conversation along the lines of who's on first, who's on second.

Doc says it's not kidney stone pain it's something wrong with my back. I said yes...kidney stone pain. He asked if a CAT Scan was done. We had already been over that.

I asked if this spaciness was infection related or drug related. He said my urine was clear. Nurse asked for sample. I told him urine always shows clear in office but cultures come back positive. On to drugs...

Doc said all meds I am on for this event can "mess with your head". Told me quit taking ALL of them. He wrote Rx for new antibiotic and nausea med even though I had not had to use nausea med given to me at ER.

Office visit was awful. He has been our Family Physician for 30 years. But, it's time for a change!

I think the antibiotic that was prescribed at Walk In is the right one for ecoli UTI. Not sure why he changed it to Cipro.

We have a 24/7 phone number for a Registered Nurse thru our Health Insurance. I will be calling that after my coffee to try to figure out the antibiotic thing to get me thru til appt with new urologist on Tuesday.

My husband is kidney stone factory. We've dealt with it for years. I'm glad to hear you are seeing a urologist. It sounds like they thought it was small enough to pass rather than have lithotripsy at this point. My husband is on Urocit to make his urine more acidic and allopurinol to soften the kidney stones. He has finally found a urologist to help avoid future issues. Right now he's dealing with a scarred ureter from all the stones he's had. One kidney is not emptying so he's had to have a catheter placed inside the kidney to empty into a bag until they can get the inflammation down and try to get a stent in the ureter. I say all this to let you know it's nothing to mess around with. I am surprised they didn't let you know what the culture said immediately. That is negligence. It could make you feel unsettled. However, check online for the side effects of Flomax and also any pharmacist can help. They know more about drugs than doctors do.

Another sign of UTI is chills.