Anybody else "comfort eating?"

Caring for Mom is wearing me down. Over the last 10 years I got on a good exercise program, changed my eating habits and lost 40 lbs. Two years ago I further altered my diet, cutting out sugar and most carbs. I lost another 10 lbs. I felt great, had more strength and energy than I had in years.

Now I have been tag teaming with my sister, caring for our Mom. Sis lives in the same town as Mom; I live 900 miles away. As Mom continued to decline mentally and physically, I made more frequent and longer trips to be with her. While she has not been diagnosed with dementia (is very good at "show timing" at the doctor's office), she is VERY particular, is angry that I won't move my family to be with her, insists on controlling every aspect of her life, even though her cognitive abilities are rapidly declining. She can't figure out how to balance her checkbook, but refuses to let us do it because she was a bookkeeper. Also has virtually no short term memory and thus believes we are keeping things from her, even though we repeat things over and over. Her food has to be prepared just so or she makes a face or says something disparaging - very passive/aggressive. Her latest obsession is being convinced there are bugs in her food, as we did recently have some fruit flies. Those are all gone now, but her eyes are bad and she now inspects all her food and any dark crumb, seed or flake of parsley she sees as moving and therefore is a bug. Convincing her there are no bugs is just the latest exhausting aspect of her care.

So, not only am I not able to exercise like I used to (Mom cannot be left alone for any length of time), now I find myself eating comfort food, because it it the only thing in my day that makes me feel good. Potatoes, bread, cookies, candy, pasta - all the things I had eliminated from my diet. I am gaining weight, getting depressed and angry with myself for not having more discipline. Is anyone else experiencing this? How can I regain that discipline and positive outlook I used to have?

27

Answers

1 2 3
nursemaid, the only help i have is from the Lord. I will keep you in my prayers. Lots of prayer, is my help. You are not alone, there are many of us who feel like you do and who are going it alone. Best wishes, you have friends here.

I gained about 10 pounds. Went through menapause. Have a mother here 24/7 with dementia. A stray German Shepherd/Husky landed here. Down 5. Have to walk her an hour a day. Trying to get 10000 steps a day. Thanks to the dog

Got remarried, 11 yrs. ago. At first it was great for the first 4 yrs. Then husband had a bad stroke. All responsibilities landed up in my lap. He is still limited in vision, speaking, short term memory, affected his right side of body, it's numb, but he still can use his hand and can walk with walker. Has had 7 yrs of physical therapy off and on since. I got no help from his daughter, who lived down the street. Only some help from church member's. But then we moved, so I could be closer to my son's and sister, niece. etc. I have heard that "you can't do it all, you need to ask for help". But from who? One time I did hire 'comfort keepers', but it isn't for free, it cost me $200.00 for them to look in on him for a week, while I got away and visited my sister. He was not happy about that, he wanted me to go have fun, but also he thinks he doesn't need any help what so ever. (His other self, before he had the stroke). He has also fallen down quite a bit during this last 7 years. I take him with me most of the time, and I can leave for short periods of time, if I go grocery shopping, as long as he is fed, and sitting in his chair watching tv. But I never feel quite at ease, feel like I have to get back quick. And squeezing all the paper work, appointments, fixing lunches, dinners, cleaning, washing, it never seems to end. It takes me weeks to get things done, cause I run out of energy or time. I also has gained weight since this has happened. I am also older, but I never was in this shape before ever! I used to work out more and looked fairly well for my age. Now I DO look my age! and feel it.They say 'not to do this alone', but I can't afford the prices they want to take a break. Good thing I love the guy and he is a good spirited fellow to boot. He is 83 now and is in pretty good shape other wise, Dr.s always give him a good report. I am 75. We are still adjusting to our move, too. trying to make new friends is almost impossible when you can't get out much. Just telling some of my story, wishing you all the best. I don't have any magical answers, if I think of something, I will let you know.

ohm the mint ones are delicious, be careful

Yup right now I’m going Girl Scout cookie crazy ,,and I love it

Thank you cdn. I too like my bread and sweet. I also am trying to commit to something, as it seems lately I have done horrible at it.
Best wishes to you, hope you get a good start this day. I hope to do better also.
Let me know how its going. Maybe we can hold each other accountable.:)

Dear smeshque,

My colleague is on the Keto Diet which is no carb, but high in fats and protein. She has done extremely well and lost 40 pounds. I do love my bread and sweets so that is that is the hard part for me.

They say any diet will work as long as we follow through. I know for myself I need to work on portion control and eating out less.

Most of the diets I review basically have veggies and a protein for lunch and dinner. Maybe an egg and some yoghurt for breakfast. A handful of nuts or apple for snacks.

Monday already so I'm going try and see what I can do. I am so embarrassed I have hit my highest weight again. I know I can do better, I just have to make a commitment to it.

SuzeeQ- I am so trying to turn things around too. Its horrible isn't it? If you figure something out let me know. Best wishes!

Good grief, yes. Yes, all the time. Eating and watching netflix have become the highlights of my days. I've gone from being svelte to pudgy. I hate it. I'm trying to turn things around though. I'm enjoying reading your responses.

The most effective diet starts at the grocery store, when you are away from your triggers you should be able to have enough willpower to keep yourself from loading the cart with the foods that you normally reach for. No muffins. No chips. No ding dongs, cookies, ice cream, chocolate bars, sugary drinks etc. Plan in advance some substitutes that you can reach for and buy those instead, something that will actually satisfy but isn't quite as awful as your normal - for example popcorn instead of chips.
Well, it works in theory anyway. Good luck!

1 2 3