Any suggestions for best non-slip tub mats and are suction grab bars safe?

I want to replace the truly awful mat that was in the tub in my parents’ house with something safer and less prone to mold. Was considering the Gorilla Grip mat but wanted some input here. We have a tub/shower with sliding doors. Not something I can change right now, but I need to make the best of what we have. Also, are suction grab bars with color indicators safe to use?

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
Wow I never thought my question would prompt such a great discussion. So I’ll definitely not use those suction grab bars. I will probably have to get something professionally installed. I installed all of the other grab bars in the house, but they were easy to do because they were on door frames (old house, 3 inch thick solid wood on both sides). Actually, I do have sliding glass doors, but the good news is that if I remove those, I can place at least one bar where the vertical track is installed.
It’s true about the danger of towel racks. When I installed the toilet riser with hand rails for my dad prior to his coming home from rehab, my mom (who was in pretty good shape back then) said she really appreciated that because she’d been using the towel rack to pull herself up!

moecam WATERSHOES what an excellent idea. Thank you :)

Found similar on Amazon, Going to get a pair each. Yippee will feel safe again.
I already have a shower seat.

Llamalover...
The shower I have is a walk in shower and the walker was easier for us.
I tried a seat in the shower and he was resistant. Only was able to get him seated when I began to seat him in the shower chair right out of bed then wheeled him into the shower.

I had grab bars installed in my mom's bathroom. She sure did not want to drill holes in that beautiful tile. Mom lost, day care was a very good thing. We had the bars professionally installed. He spent about fifteen minutes trying to locate studs. He never did. We finally realized this is a 50's era rancher built of cinder block. Wood was too expensive and hard to find.

Get a shower chair!

Grab bars can also be put at an angle so they catch studs at each end & have an experienced person install them

I personally wear water shoes in tub & when I go to a pool [4 X a week] so that I don't slip - as a person moves around they can walk off the mat - the mat is a source of mold unless it is aired well & often - my water shoes go wherever my foot goes & they dry fast - mine cover my foot to just below my ankle, have holes for drainage, are easy to get on & off due to side zipper, float if I'm not wearing them & made of soft plastic - to have them plus a mat might cover lots of bases

Craigslist, Facebook has local groups that sell anything... people are selling used items for a fraction of new cost all the time. I invested not only to make life safer for my Mother but also easier on me. Shower chair, portable commode, hospital bed, transport wheelchair, exterior ramp, etc. Usually, when parents are over 75, the adult children aren't spring chickens, therefore, think of how a small investment helps both, caregiver and loved one.

Grandma1954: daybyday's slider is not glass. Why would you use a walker in a shower stall when shower seats are available at an elder supply store, making it "more difficult" for your LO?

BUZZYBee...
I did not have wheels on the walker that I place in the shower. I had 4 rubber tips on the walker. Made it a little more difficult for him to walk with that walker but I was looking for stability not mobility. Once the shower was done I swapped the walker without wheels for his regular walker. I would have him stand next to the grab bar that I had placed on the wall. It was a long one about 36 inches and it was rather low so he could easily hold it. Also placing it low when he was in a wheelchair later it was at the perfect height for him to grab onto so he could move himself forward. I would dry him off and get him partially dressed. Shirt, briefs pants, shoes and socks were done in the bedroom. Later when he was mostly chair bound all dressing was done in the bathroom.

Agree with Lamalover that using a walker in the shower is not a good idea.
The comment about the grab bars not fitting between the studs is legitimate. they can be installed vertically as well. zip they have to be horizontally it is possible to install a 2X4 screwed to the studs and attach the bar to that. if you are adding a new bathroom before you put up the drywall install the 2X4 between the studs

BuzzyBee: I don't condone the use of a walker in the tub/shower.

1 2 3 4