My dad has Parkinson’s and is under hospice care. He cannot tolerate the mattress topper they have provided that is plastic and has inflatable baffles that rise and fall to aid in compression sore care. It seems the nerves in his skin are just so sensitive and the baffles literally hurt him. We’ve taken this baffled air overlay off but I still feel like the mattress itself, which has the blue vinyl cover over foam, could be a little softer for him but I don’t know what overlay to get that would be more like gel foam but still be washable and sanitary. Any suggestions?

Hospice should provide at least an eggshell cover. Doesnt hurt to ask Hospice. Al they can say is no.
Reply to MAYDAY

Put the inflatable back on, find a foam corregated pad... Joann's possibly, and then lay disposable bed pads over that with a matteress cover.

Eggshell Foam pads.. may be more helpful than gel... Not sure...I was told, by one person.

2-1/2" matress cover is the least you want, from a store that I just visited yesterday. my spouse has issues with shoulders hurting. This store suggested a foam cover at least 2.5" thick up to 3" thick.

Try Tuesday Morning as well.
Reply to MAYDAY

I use full length waterpoof pads. Look around and you'll find that can be affordable. If I remember right, I got ours for around $11 each. They almost completely cover the hospital bed mattress. They are also invaluable in being convenient handles to move grandma around like shift her further towards the headboard.
Reply to needtowashhair

Check out what elder supply stores carry. And ask his physician to write an RX for it as it may be able to be covered by Medicare.
Reply to Llamalover47

try a good thick sleeping bag, machine wash and dry if possible, between the mattress and underneath his body. If it works buy more the same. It did for me. I have Parkinson’s also, but the sleeping bag trick was many years ago. Just open it out and put a sheet over it... best of luck.
Reply to AnnieWishes

I just throw a folded flat sheet on my mom's mattress (Hospice). That way, it can be washed when soiled. I also put a draw sheet (not tucked in) and a couple of Chux on top to add protection. My mom is now on adult diapers instead of pull-ups, so I still check for skin breakdown each time I change her out, but so far, only Stage I in decubitus ulcer staging. Working this way for about two weeks. Tried a full fitted sheet when flat was in the laundry, but it didn't stay on--too large for twin sized bed. Not sure if a fitted twin would work since the air mattress works on a timer and I don't want to mess the machinery up.
Reply to debbiesdaz

My Dad also has Parkinson's. We got an alternating pressure mattress for him a while back as he had a sore on his heel. He used to wake up saying he hurt all over but does not do so with this mattress.
Reply to msfits

reduce the air pressure
Reply to cetude
cwillie Oct 20, 2019
Is that a feature available on most alternating pressure overlays? And is it easy to do?
(0)
A neighbor is using sheepskin - I just happened to have a large sheepskin and I gave it to her, saving her the cost of purchasing.

I like to sleep on the "fuzzy blankets" in the winter, in fact, I sleep between 2 of them and sleep "snug as a bug in a rug." I found Queensize at Sam'sClub.

I purchased several washable pads for my DH, one is a Chair Pad by CardinalHealth Essentials that feels like velvet to me, and two large CareFor Deluxe Underpad & Chair Pads by Salk in different sizes.

I found them online at a discount surgical supply. Google Washable Bedpads and you will find a lot of options. Amazon also sells pads and I believe I returned some that didn't feel soft to my hands. Even Walmart has some. I was able to find some without Latex.

Good Luck to you.
Reply to RayLinStephens

Whatever you find, you can add this idea to your repertoire. I purchased large 100% cotton flannel receiving blankets and pinned them to the fitted sheet so that dad had soft cotton against his skin. It covered a disposable pad that helped protect everything. It worked pretty well by increasing his comfort and reducing the amount of laundry.
Reply to lynina2

What about a gel pad bed topper? We have one and patient previously had Stage 1 bed sores at the tail bone, but there has been no problem with the gel pad.
Reply to Ricky6

In my experience trying to save money when buying any medical equipment almost always results in the opposite because you will have to fork over for something different before you are done. If you buy a gel type mattress topper look for one specifically designed for pressure relief, like this

https://www.rehabmart.com/product/posey-support-surface1-42138.html

There are other mattresses that Hospice can get. They try the least expensive one first then go up from there.
My Husband first has the air foam mattress then went to an alternating pressure mattress. That did automatically inflate and deflate. The air foam was a foam mattress that had air that pushed through it. It did not inflate and deflate.
Ask the Nurse about an alternate mattress. If he does have sores and there is a wound care nurse visiting as well you could ask them about it as well. Also talk to the CNA telling each one that the current mattress bothers him might get another on order.
Reply to Grandma1954

You might try and get a mattress eggcrate. It is baffled but soft. A sheet would go over it then a water proof mattress pad that can be disposable. The eggcrate can be washed as needed but does provide comfort.
Reply to Ladyj1949

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Care-Pads/b/ref=bl_dp_s_mw_17732713011?ie=UTF8&node=17732713011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Platinum+Care+Pads
Reply to Poiuyt

I bought a water proof topper at Target, it is comfortable. I would feel comfortable sleeping on it, so I know it is comfortable for my father in law.
Reply to mike45