My 98 year-old mother's lack of teeth is causing a chewing problem.

Unless she is diabetic or has a food intolerance I don't see a need to avoid sugar, fat, or anything else that might be a dietary taboo for someone who isn't 98. Adding whey powder to smoothies is easy, I like to add a little oatmeal for fiber too.
Are you sure it is her teeth causing trouble and not a swallowing problem?

Have you considered making your own soups and/or pureeing some of your own meals so that she can consume them
Reply to lulugirl

I lost my teeth to Sjogren’s a few years ago, a condition that makes your entire body severely dry and, also, until a few years ago I had an esophageal stenosis so severe that my esophagus was measured to be no wider than the inside of a coffee stir. I choked on food and water constantly. I survived on whey powder smoothies. You can vary the ingredients for the sake of nutrition and the amount of liquid or ice depending on her needs (for instance, if she has raynaud’s, she might not want ice at all). You can get powdered vitamin supplements as well or grind your own vitamins with a mortar and pestle. What’s nice about smoothies is that you can vary them according to what makes your mom happiest and still have the convenience of prepackaged meal replacements by just keeping your ingredients in the freezer ready to use. If you do go the smoothie route, you’ll want a blender that can create “snow” from ice. A Ninja blender does a great job.

I hope you and your mom find something satisfying and helpful to you both.

Take care,
b
Reply to Thisisb

I'm using Premier High Protein Shakes and I like them. 30 grams protein with only 1 gram sugar, 1 gram fiber and 1 carb. Right now it's cheapest at Sam's Club and comes in many flavors. I like the Cookies & Cream and the Banana & Cream. But also available in Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel. They're bringing back Peaches & Cream but I haven't found it yet. 160 calories per shake and I use 2 a day myself.
Reply to RayLinStephens
97yroldmom Apr 7, 2019
Raylin
my dh loves those. I started giving them to aunt (92) but I was concerned about amount of protein for older kidneys. I was told 50 g a day was appropriate. Also like you said only 160 calories. Unless someone needs to lose weight (dh does) these are a low caloric meal replacement. But a banana could be added. Coconut oil could be added, nuts and seeds could be ground in a coffee grinder and added to boost the overall fat and calories. Healthy fats are very important for all ages.
He loves the banana the most. Hasn’t tried all of them. They had them on sale a couple of mo ago at Sams and they were a great bargain. He stocked up. They have them at Costco too but the Sams price on this product was better.
(2)
There is a thickening agent that you can use to thicken regular foods like soups and juices. Check with a local pharmacy. I used one that came in small packets. They could be added to anything to make it thicker and easier to swallow.
Reply to Cinderella5001

Make your own buy a NutriBullet. And bug protein powder. They are healthier than store bought drinks.
Reply to DeniseMiller

Doesn’t ensure have a new drink out? Seems like I saw a commercial for it. Less sugar and more protein.
I agree, ridiculous to have that much sugar and no valuable nutrition.
What about making your own smoothie? I do that and then I know what is in it. Or maybe ask about one at a health food store. Best of luck to you.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom

Core Power is very tasty and has a lot of protein and vitamins. It's not super high in calories, but at least its nutrition. I have difficulty w my appetite and I drink it often instead of eating. You can order on Amazon for about $30 for case of 12. The chocolate and coffee are best flavors. Vanilla is not bad either, I cant speak as to the strawberry or banana. Good luck to you.
Reply to ClickChick

FYI: Walgreen’s has their house brand nutritional shakes with less sugar.
Reply to Ricky6

Be careful with 30 grams of protein in one drink. The kidneys would have to work too hard with 3 of those per day. Also not enough calories. Your mom is 98, let her taste preferences guide you in what to drink. If she likes the store ones because they are sweet - so what- she’s 98! God bless her and you
Reply to Reno55