My mother will not sign POA to any one. My spouse and I are caring for her. She is needing another level of care soon. I don't know what to do at this point on obtaining guardianship. Any suggestions from anyone out there.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Going through it in WV, $2500 to $3000 attorney tells me. Doc will examine her, state that she is incompetent to take care of her affairs, issue paperwork, you go to a hearing. You also want doc to state she is unable to attend the hearing. About 3 months process in WV.
Helpful Answer (1)

A Dementia patient cannot sign legal documents. So a POA is out. Guardianship seems to very price wise. Some have mentioned 10K others 1-2k which is more the price it is where I live. The cost can be taken out of Moms money. Its a Medicaid allowable expense if she ever needs it. Call ur office of aging and askvif they have a list of Lawyers in ur area. Its just a matter of filing the documents and going before a judge. If no one contests it then the cost shouldn't be too high. It will make life so much easier. Government agencies do not regonize POA but do guardianships.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter