My Mom (94) never has solid BMs. Any foods/meds that I can give to help?

Has weekly bowel incontinence episodes that are always fluid. She also has dementia, HBP, diabetes and dysphagia (swallowing problem) so foods/meds need to be soft &/or grinded down. Thank you.

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
The first comment hit the nail on the head, find a gastroenterologist. Our parent company, Kline Medical Supply sells a few bowel management products. We hear great things about Banatrol Plus

Whwn my Mom gets loose I give her a Banana that I puree in the bullet mixer. You can puree it alone or with a yogurt. You can also peel and puree an apple with yogurt, they love it. My Mom has severe swallowing issues too. Add warm water if you need it a bit thinner to drink, your choice. There is also a high fiber oatmeal I have used, but sometimes only, not daily or it can cause stomach cramps. Hey, better loose than constipated, good luck.

speak with her physician, probiotics and fiber intake could help. You can ask the pharmacist to make a recommendation as what would work best for her.

yes I am in that situation, 5 of us and I have the complete burden. I love my dad and will care for him no matter what but I am definetly having burnout symptoms.

My mom has similar complaint, we have pretty much solvd it by keeping a container of soft cooked white rice in frig. She puts about 1/4 c in microwave with dot of real butter, and eats this before a regular meal, or even as a snack. But her doctor also tried the Metamucil approach, and described how lack of sensAtion and lack of large enough or firm enough stool could encourage episodes of incontinence. The white rice might be worth a try (or rice flour) as long as it fits her diAbetic protocol.

On the subject of probiotics the best is natural fermented sauerkraut

It is amazing. Totally squared my digestive system away. Now this is not sauerkraut you buy at the grocery store, you can find it at health food stores, Fresh Foods, and I just picked some up at Trader Joes, it has to say Fermented and it will be in the refrigerated section. Bubbies is the brand I generally use. You do not cook it when you get it, put it on your sandwich drink a bit of the juice, etc, doesn't take much to square away the problems. It's very good!

Where do we find a dietician? i have this problem every day and my husband doesn't even seem aware of it. Even though his depends is always full, and sometimes its running out the sides.

sorry, loose stools don't come from dehydration... dehydration makes for hard, difficult to pass stools.... introduction to too much fiber too quickly, in a elderly persons diet can do a lot of damage... sounds like a lot of liquid is added to her foods to "grind them softer.".. it could be something simple like too much apple sauce added to the ground food... ask questions of the dietician... they can help!

Nothing like more fiber, as natural as you can get it in her. Also one silly thing overlooked is water. If you're thirsty, you're dehydrated. If there are only loose stools, one is dehydrated. As ferris1 states, Metamucil works too.
It makes me wonder what her intake of food & fluids is.
You also need to be aware that many medications can't be crushed up, like Potassium. I wonder what her electrolyte panel of blood work would reflect.
Has she been assessed by an gastroenterologist?
Assed, not put through testing, but for blood work.
Many things can influence loose stools. Medications can just be one of the factors. The entire situation needs to be assessed, properly. More information need to be given. See her physician.(with her please)

remember people,94 yr.old folks have totally different issues than a baby or a dog .....rice and cheese can be a bad idea for a 94 yr.old w/dementia,diabetes,etc....each elder is different.......i spent almost a full 6 months, documenting ,discussing w/ generic health care people, including docs.,nurses,caregivers,hospice,pharmacists,and constant research and reading on my part before i discovered the method that works for my 92 yr.old mom......we tried everything.....suddenly,the right combination worked..... to have it all change again in another month down the road......caregiving is NOT finding one solution and sticking with it, its listening, researching and being able to help your mom,dad or other feel the best he/she can in everyday life....everyday!

1 2 3 4