My Mom fell and broke her hip. Is there any aid available for my Mom in long term care?


I live in Washington and she lives in Florida. I have been flying back and forth with some frequency. I am providing meals, bath support, housework, transportation, shopping, laundry, and coordinating care. What is available to me. I am currently running through what savings I have. I have only about 34k left to my name. I was laid off last Feb so this has been quite a hardship.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


That’s a very common question if one can get paid. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to look for a full-time job.

See If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. I assume since you are preparing meals that means your Mom isn't in a continuing care facility. Also check to see if Florida is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.

Also contact the county agency on aging for programs, such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on Florida.... now click on the city/county.

And please come back to the forums if you have any Caregiving questions, we would be more than happy to share our experiences with you, and give you ideas on what to do.
Helpful Answer (0)

Washington DC or way out on the West coast? Either way find her county office of the aging by going up to the Search Site box and entering her city and state. A lot of information will pop up.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.