Any advice for a wife who has had to place her husband in memory care as to how I will pay for nursing home care if we need it?

I can barely afford memory care for my husband with Alzheimer’s. He was diagnosed with early onset 6 years ago and is only 68. I had to place him recently and am concerned that as he declines, he may no longer qualify for Memory care and I have heard how expensive nursing home care is. I would like to guard cash assets that we have (less than $150,00), as I don’t want to be a burden on my children down the road. What are the limitations of assets to qualify for Medicaid? I have a long term care policy that is covering a good portion of his MC but I am afraid that I may run out of money down the road.

2

Answers

Check out the great forum at AlzConnected.Org for lots more info. Many of our folks have knowledge, including an attorney on the forum that answers many questions
Reply to jjariz

Please find a good elder law attorney that can help you navigate Medicaid, you yourself do not need to become destitute for your spouse to qualify for aid. This is not a do it yourself project, please find a qualified elder law attorney, most will do a free 30 minute consultation to see if they are what you are looking for.

Best of luck.