Anxiety, fear, and panic in caregivers.

Hi everyone. I want to know if any of you experienced anxiety, fear and or panic as a caregiver for your elderly person. I certainly am and do. I am going through meno which doesn't help. A lot of things don't help. But this is one of those paralyzing things that raises it's head at me.

15

Answers

I hated and paniced at any call after 9pm!!

thanks Scaretaker, reading the pdf now... started out a tad not for me, but now it is addressing things I am now feeling that I have actually lost someone I was close to.

My mom's facility only calls if there's a problem

I hold my breath waiting to exhale until I hear from her sitter in the afternoon and again at bedtime

Hi friends. Thank you for sharing your experiential knowledge with me. I appreciate the insight.

FTR, I attend ACOA and counseling. Having a front row seat to aging is so hard. I am in a panic state of living in denial as a result of having my nose rubbed in it as a caretaker.

My therapist recommended a PDF book Called Staring into the Sun which talks about fear and anxiety of death - which is where I am at. It drives everything in my life.

That's me right now

the brand name for escitalipram is Lexapro. it is an antidepressant with antianxiety properties to it.
I too was brought up with zero knowledge of boundaries but i guess all children of abusive parents are.

Scaredtaker, that must be tough to deal with two people who do not respect your boundaries. I suppose the alcoholism, unless she is in recovery, makes it exceptionally difficult. I might check out Al-A-non and maybe even counseling. They might offer some tools to help you cope.

I'm joining my parents when my mother returns for her follow up visit to her doctor later this week. She was hospitalized Sunday and just released. Long story, but won't go into it here. If she's not going to accept recommended treatment, I'm going to seek a counselor to help me with my responses to my parents. AND I'm moving out and advising them to make other arrangements for someone to help them. That's my boundary. Either follow doctor's advice or handle it on your own. I won't be a witness to self destructive behavior. I'm telling them that I won't be their POA either. I'm not volunteering to stay on a train of misery.

Escitalopram? Does it have another name? Thanks! I'm very prone to panic attacks, depression and anxiety. I see psychiatrist and therapist. I take meds already. Mom 91, very sweet but CLINGY TO AN EXCESS. That's my life in a nutshell.
M
8
8

I had the occasional panic attack before my folks moved in,, but boy did it get worse. A bit of ativan helped.. and so did time. But I still get stressed about mom and her not eating, and worrying about her

Definitely. I was a wreck. I'd get horribly angry and cry uncontrollably. If i had 3 things to do i couldn't figure our where to even start sometimes. I felt trapped. I just wanted to sleep for days if i could. Went to my doctor and thankfully was prescribed escitalopram. What a difference!