Am I overreacting?

I'll try to make this short...basically I feel pretty burnt out-or starting to get burnt out but I'm not sure if it's me being ridiculous-if I should suck it up and realize that I am going over the top, or if I legitimately have reason to feel this way...
I have been a caregiver for years, but I took a break for some time until my boyfriend's 103 year old grandmother who lives upstairs from us had a fall and needed 24/7 assistance. Having much experience caregiving, I quickly told her daughter and her daughters husband that if they were going to hire someone, that I would be more than happy to take care of her. As it turns out, Norma, (the woman I take care of) was OVERJOYED and highly relieved that I wanted to do this for her. She now constantly tells me that "if I didn't have you I would DIE!!! I would LET GO," and she refuses to let anyone else do what I do. The one time it was brought up, she went into hysterics and whenever she has to go to her daughters, she becomes hysterical and horribly sad and will have horrible incontinentce and accidents and her memory worsens (I'm assuming due to stress).
Norma is HORRIBLY wealthy, as is her daughter. I mean-CRAZY rich. But they pay me next to nothing. I don't know how to bring this up to them or even if I should. And I am not getting free room and board. It is an expensive part of town, and my boyfriend and I pay all the bills. It especially makes me feel Terrible about even THINKING about asking for more pay...and this is hard because San Francisco is expensive to say the least...Also, my boyfriend is against me even thinking about the fact that I should make more, and that I'm not even making minimum wage.
I do most everything for Norma. I dress her, bathe her, make all her meals (and my boyfriends meals as well as driving him to and from work and taking care of any errands he needs fulfilled or driving. Him to and from appointments as well as giving him 85-90% of my paycheck every week for bills). I take her to and from appointments, run any errands she needs done, go to the store sometimes multiple times a day, fix her hair, give her manicures and pedicures, do her makeup...every time she needs to use the restroom, I take her...so basically all that. I feel like that's a bit, but my boyfriend tells me that I get to sit at home and that it's really doing nothing...so I feel like I'm just overreacting especially since most caregivers must be doing a LOT more...
At first her daughter and her husband told me that I would get the weekends off. That they would take her with them each time, and if she wasn't feeling up to it, that they would just stay here for the weekend so I would still get a break...
That never has happened. It has now been over three months without a break...but once again, I'm confused because I feel like maybe I should have more breaks, but since I live downstairs, I do get to sit around for sometimes up to two hours at the VERY most (when she naps in the afternoon) and clean or do things for my boyfriend or sometimes watch tv while I wait for her to use a beeper she wears around her neck to page me.
I apologize for not making much sense, but recently I have been so exhausted I sit down and the next thing I know, she is beeping me and I have fallen asleep sitting up. Sometimes I spend the whole night sitting up on the couch because after I put her to bed I try to wind down for a while and then just fall out...but once again, (and especially since my boyfriend tells me I'm not really doing anything and that he would take my place ANYDAY-he is an electrician) I really feel like I'm just tired because of other reasons possibly, and so I need to just stop worrying and accept things.
So that in a super confusing nutshell is what's going on...I guess my question is-what should I do and what am I doing? Am I right to feel this but your, or is it just me being silly and overreacting as I sometimes have done in the past...
I don't even know...

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
Sweetheart, please leave. You are being abused. And get some therapy.

smleon, sound like to me "you are not asking questions because you already knew the answers" and don't get upset about posters. You asked, they did answered. Here is my thought about your posts.... you are waiting for some inheritance from your boyfriend's GM? Having plan of getting merry with BF? Don't wait. Pretty soon you might end up taking care of entire your BF family without pay.Love is not forever thing. Just do right thing for you!!!! Sorry my English is second language for me.

Maybe not over-reacting, but over-acting?
So sorry that I won't be able to help you.

Like I said...I am feeling pretty tired...if I said he was 67, that's not right. He was born in 67.

Wow. Ok. Let me clarify this again. MY BIRTHDATE IS 12/02/1989. My boyfriends birthdate is 11/26/67. No-this is not a daddy issue. I met my boyfriend years ago-before I began taking care of his grandmother whom I love to death. Again-I want to take care of her, and being a good person, I couldn't possibly just turn her over to someone whom she doesn't know and then would legitimately just give up life. And I surely could t let her daughter take her-given the previous circumstances and her daughters prior and continuing behavior.

"I JUSTtyrned 26 years old. My boyfriend is 67," and

" I was born in 1989 and my boyfriend was born in 1967. "

?????

Rainmom, I believe the BF is 67. Unless he's a Sam Elliott or Paul Newman look alike (but with no personality or savoir faire), this is more like a father-daughter relationship, and that may be part of the problem IF this really is true. Some girls need father figures to tell them what to do.

I now see the comparison to the cat woman who refused to leave while allegedly being treated abusively; it's like reading a book written by the same author.

BS meter is going off the charts. I call foul.

" I am a person who CONSTANTLY doubts myself-especially when the person closest to me tells me that I am not really doing anything."

This I think is the core of the issue. You need to focus on your own self esteem, why you allow a man to be such a dominant force over you, and why he can manipulate you so much that he literally controls you, and why you need that reinforcement from someone else.

If you enjoy caregiving, you could do it professionally, get paid better wages and treated better, not like a servant.

Nor would you need to tolerate the abusive daughter.

But the key really is self-esteem and self-respect; absent that, this could be away of life for you. Recognize it now, get out and create your own life.

And without being cruel, do you really think this 67 year old man sees you as a partner or as a cheaply paid servant?

Time for some serious self-evaluation if you ever want to be a person in your own rights. As I wrote, there are help groups for women who are emotionally battered, unless you want to live this kind of miserable life.

This one reminds me of the gal with all the cats...worked for a rich family and the guy beat her susposedly...remember that one?

Ummm - if your bf was born in 1967 he is 49 or will be sometime this year. Ding, Ding, Ding - that's my bs meter going off.

1 2 3 4