Is it true that Alzheimer's patients can stop swallowing or eating?

I feel better knowing that the kids may not see exactly the way i do or feel the same around my father . His illness is not contagious he has alzheimers and dementia ,he also suffers fr diabetes He has to be on a low sugar diet he dsnt need insulin. His sugar should be checked daily. I will often tell my dad i will pay him if he eats. He gives a hard time ,suffering biabetic shock episodes in the past ill do anything to make him eat .Will alzheimers eventually make him forget to chew or swallow

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
Dad @ age 91, suffered a fall which resulted in his admittance to the hospital. Nothing was broken, but he did have an infection in one leg requiring treatment.
During the hospital stay he started refusing to eat. In an attempt to feed him, he aspirated. After testing determined that he was having difficulty swallowing, staff recommendation was, of course, to insert a feeding tube. We were informed that no rehab/SN facility would accept him after discharge without this procedure.
Fortunately, a local Hospice accepted Dad and cared for him according to his previously recorded wishes. We do not consider that Dad was slowly starving to death, but instead was comfortably allowed to leave this life without medical interference that would prolong his suffering.
At first it was a difficult decision to make, but we are glad that we were able to grant Dad the dignified passing that he requested.

nearby help for Alzheimer patients in Bangalore, India

To those who have trouble swallowing: Soft, pureed food, known as a "mechanical diet" has been around for years. Hospitals use it, doctors recommend it. Even small bits of food get stuck in a patient's mouth, so switch to the mechanical diet. It's just as nutritious as regularly prepared food.. Start with the blender; put the food into it of like content ( such as potatoes) and blend. Remove, and then put in the meat and puree. Remove, and lastly put into the blender the veggies. ummmm. Remove and put all three on the patient's plate. give her a spoon not a fork and voila!

My father passed away from Alzheimer's/Dementia. He developed pneumonia in October which responded to antibiotics. Then in December, he developed pneumonia again which did not respond to the antibiotics. At this point he could not longer swallow. He had been bedridden for many months sleeping most of the time. Whether the not swallowing was due to Alzherimer's or because his body was shutting down, I don't know the answer, however, it does happen. My father fell one day while in the care home, he could no longer walk after that event. Most likely he forgot how to walk. My 83 yr. old mother, from what I can understand, is in stage 3. She gets confused with information, can no longer learn new skills, asks the same questions over and over again, and forgets what you said to her five minutes after you said it. She can still take care of herself but needs to be watched. To answer your question, I honestly think that yes they forget how to swallow since they forget how to walk. It all depends on how the disease is progressing in their brain and the cognitive abilities it is affecting. It is a horrible disease because you lose your loved one twice...once to Alzheimer's, and again in death. I remember one day when I was visiting my father in the care home and he was sitting in a chair sleeping. I tried in vain to wake him up for 20 minutes at least. I talked about my children and other family members but he would not respond. I told him I was going to go and I kissed him goodbye. As I got up to leave he said, "Don't go". I was so heartbroken because I realized that even though he wasn't responding to me, he KNEW I was there. Just remember, they may not talk to you but they know you are there!!

What kind of suggestions are you looking for, suzyQs? About food? About your daughter's frustration? What?

My mother has had this disease for @ 20 years now. She was doing good with finger foods, but now all she wants to have are sandwiches. Depending on the sandwich, she will shove the quarter of sandwich into her mouth and forgets to chew or swallow. Now she can't figure out how to spit the food out. Being a diabetic all she wants is to eat sweets or candy. I deny her of these things because her sugars are doing good. She is 86 years old and lost her husband 2 years ago and they were married for 50 years. I really expected her to go about 6 months after he past, but this cruel disease is just holding her down. My father's dying wish was for me NOT to put her in a nursing home, I just don't break promises.
I do have providers that come in to assist with her care. But they are only there for a paycheck!!! I have my 25 year old daughter staying with my mother and she is at her wits end with all that is going on. Does anyone have any suggestions that I really could use?

Keep in mind that someone with Alzheimer's disease loses their skills as they learned them... We were not born eating. It can be very complicated to chew breath and swallow... Pureed foods are easier to swallow however don't always look very appetizing try to do hi protein shakes and cream soups and custard's and puddings...

Use a stick blender...so much easier and more bettah than a tabletop jar blender. Haven't tried a regular puree device. Also, problems with dentures, food being stuck beneath them, adhesive oozing out. Finally, I got Mom to give them up...well, one day I just refused to give them to her. Too many agonizing hours fooling with them, choking. How many hours a day devoted to stuff like this. People don't realize. During one period, I think I spent two hours a day just on mom and her gloves. Dentures alone can take up hours...

Alz or not, an elderly patients' food must be pureed. You have to know just when to introduce this type of food. You have to keep watch and you'll know when the time has come. Not all foods have to be pureed, but the condition known as Dysphagia can cause food to settle and not go down or to just get stuck in the long esophagus. Get out the blender. Good luck.

nanalove...is this still an ongoing condition that you are working with? You may have to go to protein shakes, drunk through a straw. Work with viscosity, does thin or thicker work better. I dilute Mom's protein/yogurt/fiber smoothies with coconut WATER,which is full of elecrolytes, more than Gatorade. good solution for mom for her leg cramps. very few any more. Anyway, if the shake is too thick, it's too stick for her to swallow. Also work with the diameter of the straw, really. the amount of sucking needed, bent is probably better. I got this down to a science currently, but her condition may change. I use the plastic cups and tops I get my iced latte in. Amt of fluid also in cup...like too much in cup and it's too heavy. also the temperature, mom does not like too cold, so luke warm. I will also put a wrapper around cup for insulation. I use old decorative socks like you'd wear at Halloween...good use for those we don;t use any more.

1 2 3 4