Is Alzheimer's and dementia hereditary?

Does it depend on how close the family relationship or how early the onset?

61

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
My Moms mom lived to 91, no dementia at all, yet mom got it. The special on PBS said Carbs are the Cause! He wrote a book called grain brain and hes a neurologist, we cant win I guess. I get scared every time I forget something.

My grandmother and all her 12 siblings died with Alzheimer's, was it heredity or environment? In this case no children of theirs (now in their eighties and older) has it, so I would vote for environment.

About sugar products, sugar isn't good for anyone, that is why I watch my 86 year old"s sugar intake.

I hope not......if it is, my kids will know what they're up against since they see it day in and day out with mom living with us.......I'm sure I'd drive them nuts repeating the same questions over and over........only time will tell........

All of my grandparents were gone before they were 75 except one, she lived to 81. If there was any symptom of any type of dementia no one noticed. Both my father and mother were diagnosed, Dad died are 77, Mom is 88 and is in middle stages.
I truly believe, due to most people not living as long as they do now, the different types of dementia just did not show up yet in mass exposure until recent years thanks to modern meds. Am I scared that I will show symptoms? Sure, every time I forget something or can't bring up something I want to remember. Am I going to lose sleep over it, no. All we can do is prepare so our kids do not have to deal with what we are dealing with.
Nursing home insurance, if you can afford it, can be used either in a nursing home or with home care depending on the company. However, none will pay for over 5 years I don't care how long you pay into it. Let's face it, if we end up with some type of dementia, we won't care. That is the tragedy and beauty of the disease. Mom is physically well, has a place to stay, 24/7 caretakers, private family chauffeurs for appointments. Other than that, she could care less. It is a caretakers affliction plain and simple.

RIGHT NOW ON PUBLIC TELEVISION CHANNEL 11 HERE, IS ON ALZHEIMERS AND THE CURE!

MY gram had it....my dad had it and now my mom has it....I am scared.....

1956Sherry - Keep on doing what works for you. Trying to keep germs away from yourself and your ill husband makes a lot of sense.

I have a strong immune system, and I choose to risk germs from the subway handrails because I am more likely to fall down and break my crown than to get sick. Some people think I'm crazy.

You are a good person and have a hard life. God bless you.

LOLOL Well..It is just me...Cause it is too much $$$ to get sick..to take time off from work..to heal...the cost of doctor and meds...even with insurance..I am a maid..and one illness can put me in dept for months...not to mention the strain it puts on my body..my husband is ill with diabetes and dementia...I sure do not want to bring home germs..I even keep hand sanitizer in my car and in my purse...I use it often..I have not been sick in 5 years...other than some strains from over working..I don't have time to be sick..I am sure there are many others who touch the produce long before it ever gets on the shelf...but I have seen some of these clerks with runny noses, and coughing and sneezing all over your items...I am not gonna put up with that...PERIOD...I will walk out and leave everything at the counter before I bring it home with snot on it...LOL ..I KNOW I am a bit peculiar, I am not looking for approval from anyone...no one pays my bills for me..or helps me when I am sick..or hurt....or pays for my meds but me....and no one does the suffering for me if I catch someone else BUG .....so while I am alive...I work hard and try to give excellence on my job...so I expect it..from others who do there job...till then...it is my life..and I will live it...H E A L T H Y as I can...it is hard enough taking care of someone with dementia and diabetes...try doing it sick...and if they get sick....!

Just a thought 1953sherry, I hear you on what you do to take care of yourself, but their are many many clerks, people touching your foods before you even get to the checkout, LOL. I think we can literally drive ourselves up the wall with it could be this, it could be that. I say, just do the best you can and stop worrying, that will cause more harm than fish, lipitor or the numerous other worries out there in Dr. Oz land, or is that Oprah land.

I don't know. But I'm with you, I stopped the statins over a year ago, they scare the heck out off me.

1 2 3 4 5