How can I get my mother, who has Alzheimer's and was referred to hospice by her doctor, qualified for care?

Mother has Alzheimer's, her md referred her to hospice. First she qualified, then she didn't. I work and she is alone all day. Now what?

23

Answers

1 2 3
"I do not have her power of attorney for anything for her. She is able to sign for herself. But I did sign as responsible party."
I do not understand why you had to sign as responsible party if your mother was competent and you did not even have POA. You really need to contact an attorney who specializes in Elder Law in your State. Most will give you a free consultation and tell you how to proceed on your own. Don't know how much you still owe the Private Pay Home but if it is a large sum, the Attorney might charge a modest fee to lower the amount you owe or have the Nursing Home write it off. Do not ignore it because this will affect your credit score and even future job prospects. Remember that Collection Agencies neither want to know or care about your particular circumstances. They just want the money. Right now the law is on their side. You need to change that as soon as you can. I think you have a good case, but I am not an Attorney and I am not familiar with Medicaid rules in your State.

I have another question. Last year I did have her in a retirment place for 4 months. What her social security check didn't cover I paid out of my pocket. I still owe them money. I had to bring her home in november because I couldn't afford it anymore. I had used up all my savings. I do not have her power of attorney for anything for her. She is able to sign for herself. But I did sign as responsible party. Of course they want their money and are threating me now with outside collections. I have made a few payments when I can, but it's really hard since I depleted my savings when she was there. I didn't know about medicare/medical then and they are a private facility. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about it now? SInce I signed, am I responsible? I can't afford to go to an attorney to find out. Thanks for any help.

Hi All,
I wanted to update you and let you know that I found a convalescent hospital that will do the paperwork to get my mom on medical. I went to see the place monday and it was really nice. They told me I could bring her in wednesday, which I did. I was so shocked - finally someone was helping me. It was actually referred to me by her secure horizons. Now she will disenroll in secure horizons and they will apply for medical and she will have medicare/medical. It was hard to tell her and of course she doesn't remember being told and kept thinking she was going to be able to go home and get her stuff. We had packed it the night before, but she didn't remember. I took her yesterday morning, the place is only 3 miles from my house. Went back at 6 last night and she seems to be doing so good, being around people her own age is really improtant I think. All she did before was watch tv and stare into space.

Call your local alzheimers association . They know resources. go to www.alz.org and http://www.alzfdn.org. Educate yourself, as fast as you can. Your knowledge or lack of it, determines how this will go. 60% of caregivers have heart attacks, strokes or other debilitating illnesses during their loved ones illnesses. Then where is the demented person left? Get smart- get educated. Ask for help from professionals in dementia.They know where to go for resources.

Mia,
you might be able to get some help from your employer. Try this resource:
John Paul Marosy is founder and president of Bringing Elder Care Home. He is a former family caregiver and has served as CEO of leading organizations in the fields of aging and home health care. He provides education, training, and corporate consulting with respect to the growing issue of balancing elder care in the work place.

Have you considered a home care agency? One that provide non-medical care such as companionship, meal preparation and personal care? There are several reputable companies.

My father is a terminal Alcohloclic has fallen broken his shoulder I live 4 hours away my half sisters who live in the same town wont get involved he refuses to go to a nursing home and will not move closer to be able for me to help care its a mess The only help he has is a neighbor , I cant quit my job and move there nor do I want to I have 14 years at this job , yet what can I do I have no Idea what to do

I'm sorry to hear about the denial of hospice services. It is a blessing that Alzheimer's Disease finally qualifies at all for hospice. That was not always the case. I can say enough about the great work adult day health centers so. In Massachusetts (don't know about other states) they are qualified as "day care" having a social model or "day health" having a clinicial side to the daily care as well. Many accept Veteran's benefits or Medicaid. Often the center will provide transportation to and from the program. Good luck.

True. Pop had his bodily functions and was in for over 14 months. Good luck!

Lissa is soooo right. My dad was rejected the first time, and then I realized what I needed to say in order for them to accept him which they now have done. They have some patients they have had for two to three years, so the six month thing is a misnomer. Tell them what lissa suggests. It really is all about getting Medicare to pay. I find it so hard to believe your mother is not accepted. My father has his bodily functions as well. Something is amiss here. Check into other hospice programs. Do not give up!!

1 2 3