Aides are being reassigned at home my mom is at. Anyone else see this?

I am going to find out more, but the aides are being shuffled around in the home. Mom is borderline hysteric. I did ask a few questions, stated mom liked the one aide she had, but (as I expected), nothing is going to change. I told mom before I asked I doubted nothing would change. Oh well, I asked. I just don't know if this is a matter that needs to be pursued or just let it be. I need to find out if help shuffles are the norm: anyone else out there see this? As such, I don't think this is the hill I want to die on. Matter of fact, I refuse to die on it.

23

Answers

1 2 3
When my Mom was in nursing care they moved all the residents to a new bldg. they had built to replace older one. The staff were all non-familiar ones. What with the new place and new aides my poor Mom felt just lost.

Not that I think this will happen to you but my Mom died very shortly after being moved. I'd phone her and she would be crying. I had built the new place up in her mind to make the move easier on her but she never liked it.

It's to be expected. People resign, are fired and/or reassigned.

Turnover in nursing homes is standard. The only promise is that care will be there as necessary. Some nursing homes also deliberately rotate staff so that patients will not crave the one caregiver. I solved it by hiring one caregiver during the day to see to my dad's needs. I'm there in the morning and evening so it runs smoothly most days. Adding to the meds means a doctor has to carefully weigh the other meds the patient takes. Our own doctor doesn't like to add too many meds which is fine with us and our method seems to work. Yes, it is expensive.

The facility's business is supposed to be care of elders. One would think they would be well acquainted with what "change" can cause elderly clients. If it was my mother, I would meet with the director of the facility and aire the grievances.

I noticed last night at mom's memory care a woman who's is normally very calm is now yelling and only wants certain aides helping her - while I tried to intervene a bit all she wanted was for me to get the aide out of her room and lock the door

Unfortunately she needs maximum assistance including a lift so it must be hard on everyone

I have also seen how disturbing it is to residents, to have their aides be sent to another floor JUST as they are beginning to learn how to care appropriately for that resident, and the resident (especially those with dementia -- which are the greater percentage) are beginning to feel safe with the aides. The nurses hate it too -- as they are just settling into a workable relationship with the aides. I have seen this in homecare aide agencies as well -- the rotations specifically set up so that the homecare aides don't get attached to their clients. Whether or not there is validity in that, it is extremely confusing (and often distressing) to the client, and means that they (or family) are always 'training' new homecare workers of their specific needs. Aides/homecare people get minimal training, and in so-called 'best practices' -- that often don't meet the needs of that individual resident/client. If you are able to hire homecare, look for agencies that support on-going care by the same small team of homecare workers!!!

Hi TwoCents,
This is happening at my dad's nursing home as well, and I don't know why. I guess to start we need to ask some of the Aides who are willing to talk. Nursing homes have a very high turnover. They are very short on staff new aides every single week. Nursing is very hard work, there should always be two aides to one patients but that will never happen. I am interesting in getting the Nursing Homes laws re-designed but it takes a village to help make it happen.

Nursing Homes is when Satan’s camp resides. The Government and Families should get more involved in the care and mannerism of health care facilities period. The bars should be set at a higher level from management down to janitorial duties. Most people fall to Nursing Homes because they do not like authority, in nursing homes they do not make workers accountable to do their jobs. Pretty much rejects from main hospitals and clinics. My experience over the years has been begging for basic and proper care for my dad. I have to request medical attention, fluids, showers, therapy, changing soiled sheets down to my dad need to go to the ER. All attention on my behalf has resulted to bad attitudes from managers, nurses and aides. I have witnessed workers hiding in residents (they are patients to me) rooms to avoid caring for patients in need. Every day I visit, you can hear patients crying out for help. My dad had fallen 6 times with two months because they did care to come see if he were ok sitting in his wheelchair. The State is an utter joke- I have sent pictures with complaints and never got a response by letter or call. There has to be a new level of respect for caring for our elderly. Prisoners gets better treatment than our elderly who can’t care for themselves. I will do the best I can to help my dad and others during my passing by.
USA should be ashamed!

most of the time mom is pretty good I will have to say. I guess the status quo got shaken up and I guess they get used to routine so it upsets them. the unknown is scary. She was calmer so I'll keep an eye on it.
thanks all

My favorite private pay caregiver just told me this afternoon would be her last with my mom at her memory care center - I'm going to cry 😥😥😥😥

She recently got her psych tech license and just changed her full time job for better pay but with rotating hours - she had still been doing Saturday afternoons for us but won't be able to anymore

Not only did she handle my mom well but she alerted me to several problems at the facility that I would have not known about otherwise - a couple of weeks ago she even stayed late on her own time so she and mom could finish a puzzle -

1 2 3