Does anyone know if VA pension for Aid & Attendance will stop if you get Hospice to help also?

My mother is 94 and very weak. I need help and can't afford to pay for it out of the VA aid and attendance pension. I am the one and only child of a 94 year old and I am 68. It is hard to do it all. I need help and someone said I could get my Mom's doctor to order hospice to help me. Any one familiar with this. I will contact VA and get it in writing for sure, but that will take forever. I want to know before I have to pay it all back. Scary to make changes. I don't want to stick my neck out and be sorry for it.

24

Answers

1 2 3
If you need Aid and Attendance help, there is a Non-profit who helps you through the paperwork and it is all free. They ask for a donations after they have helped you to "pay-it-forward" as their organizations relies on donations, but they are pretty great and have helped thousands. Find them at www.apscnp.org

Great question, Lanie53. We recommend calling the Disabled American Veterans, American Legion, VFW, etc, and asking that question directly.

Off the cuff, the answer would probably be "yes" but you should check that out before you act. In fact, practically all of his income would go to whatever home in most cases, although we're not as familiar with federal VA nursing homes.

There may be a difference if your husband goes into a federal VA home at a VA Medical Center over going into a state-run veterans facility. He's eligible for both with a 100% rating. In our state, veterans keep around $100 if they are in a state-run veterans home rather than the $35 at a regular nursing home.

My husband is 100% disabled veteran . I get aid and attendance to take care of him at home. He is terminal with Alzheimer's and renal cancer. My question is: if I put him I'm a VA center will we lose all of the aide and attendance benefit?

I saw someone posted that you no longer have to have a prognosis of 6 months, that is not true. The doctor has to say that if the disease runs its normal course there is a prognosis of 6 months or less. As far as Aid and Attendance in Michigan we have agencies that will assist you for free

Dear College, I asked the agency I used to successfully help me get A & A for my Dad. The answer is that, getting Hospice will not affect your continuing to get the Aid and Attendance money. Receiving Medicaid would, however, because Medicaid would then be paying what A & A was paying. With Hospice, as long as your Mom's income does not increase beyond the limits of what VA requires for her to receive A & A, it shouldn't affect her monthly pension. Hope this helps.

college...if you call the agency for aging, they can give you the local number for hospice in your area....medicare WILL help you, but your mom sounds EXACTUALLY like mine, with her assorted problems... and needs the hospice people more... if you can't find the info you need ,call this sites aging care. com and they can help you...

one agency is called veteran's aid ..

that's true... all u.s.a. has hospice for elderly care now... you don't have to be in last 6 months of your life...I too will post the free agency that helped me ...

Hi College,

So glad your mommy will still have the Aid and Attendance even with Hospice. I pray they will give you some relief. My Dad was on Aid and Attendance and I had just arranged for 6 hours a week homecare also from VA when he fell and went to hospital and died a week later. Make sure you check on all the VA possibilities for help plus Hospice. Sounds like you and your Mommy need it. Hang in there and know we are thinking of you and you will get through this. Your Mommy is so lucky to have you.

In regards to Too young for this (and I don't know where you are, I'm in Texas): Hospice re-evaluates patients every 6 mos. is what I was told. Plus, someone can be put on hospice for 3 mos. start to do better and released from hospice.1 month later if the patient starts to go downhill again, hospice can be reinstated. My mom was "not thriving" so hospice was called in. That was 1 1/2 years ago. She is fairly stable now however things keep happening (3 seizures for no reason as example) to keep hospice with her. She is getting ready to be re-evaluated to see if she is released to under facility care. I too am an only. Wasn't until 2 years ago when my sister passed but even with her here she wasn't able to help out. She worked full time plus taking care of her grandson. It's a double edged sword.....it can be a great help or boy I have 2 friends that have an awful lot of trouble with their siblings. We can only do what we can do and do the best we can. Take a deep breath and take one phone call at a time. :) God Bless

1 2 3