My Dad has Alzheimer's and its early so he will go for walks but I'm afraid he will get lost one day. Any advice?

Not sure how to keep him from it and he also loses his drinks and puts things up and swears that someone else did it but he also will go for walks and he likes to bring home things out of other peoples trash he brought home a xmas tree and lamps with no cords how do i stop this or what should i say without making him upset

34

Answers

1 2 3 4
It's a spammer, Jeanne. The poster has advertised on 16 or 17 posts now. They've been reported by at least two people, so hopefully the messages and poster will disappear.

NikoleCollins, this thread is two months old, and several people have already mentioned tracking devices.

Tracking devices are not "preventative solutions" -- they do not prevent anyone from wandering, they just help locate the wanderer. They may be very awesome and useful, but they do NOT "prevent wander before it happens".

I'm really wondering why you are posting this exact message, with no personalization to response to specific questions, to old messages. Is this advertising?

5 Star which is a GPS enabled monitor, is a good thing to consider. Unlike the traditonal monitoring devices that are only good for a number of feet, this monitor literally goes anywhere. You can buy them at Wal-Mart and they are resonably priced.

Well, I did a very simple thing that will be effective for mom's trying to get out either door while I'm working. I picked up a pack of Grip 'n Twist doorknob covers, 3 to a pack for 3 dollars at Walmart. They glow in the dark, ha-ha, and I have a heck of a time opening the doors myself now unless I grip them just right. They certainly work for us. I shudder at the thought of her wandering anywhere by herself; she's way past the walking alone stage for sure.

TAGG. I think the device was around $129 and I think we pay about 9-10 per month (sorry, I forgot - hasn't shown up on my CC yet.) We use it for Dad, not the dog!

Lorey9, could you give me more information about the GPS tracker you have for your dog? I like the features as you've described them and would like to know more about the monitor. Who makes it, what's the name of the device, how much did it cost, where did you get it?

Thanks a lot!

Since the one we have is for a dog, we had to get him used to carrying it in his pocket. (it's made to slip on a leash). It has become part of his daily 'uniform' - wallet, keys, glasses and his 'ISpy'. Once he leaves the designated area we have set, I will get an alarm on my phone. That can take up to 12 minutes (the satellite cycle - all of these GPS systems have one of various time periods), but at anytime, I can tap a locate button and it will tell me where he is. I can either tap it at will, or set it on tracking for 30 minutes where it will beep me his location every 3 minutes. That's how we realized that he was on a bus that day. That feature can be reactivated after the 30 minutes. We also got an ID bracelet with contact info - we have to convince him to wear that now.

Hello again-about the Safetylink: once it is put on the wrist, it cannot be removed. For individuals who have sensory concerns, it is possible to put a tracker on a shoe...but no guarantee that will be on the person's foot when going for a walk. Good news,the wristlet is waterproof (take it to the shower, too); the battery gets changed every 6 months. One call to the local police and the tracking begins.

This is another thing I need to do for my husband. I am afraid he will get lost also. Thanks for the info!

GPS! Just had to get my Dad this morning, although he wasn't lost and on his way home. A few weeks ago he got on a bus and was trying to get to Manhattan! The one we use is actually for dogs - a bit cheaper than the people ones. We've had it about 6 weeks and is helping.

1 2 3 4