He must have around the clock care and it is taking every bit of money the family has to keep him alive

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
There are two great article written by Editor’s that were already posted in our community that relate to paying for your elderly loved ones care. We thought this might answer your caregiving question.

“10 Government Programs You Can Access for Your Elderly Parents.”


“How Can I Get Paid for taking Care of My Elderly Parents?”

We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything else and we look forward to seeing more questions and discussions from you.

Thank you,
Karie H.
The Team
Helpful Answer (0)

janbaby914, contact Social Services in your father's county. Your family does not have to shoulder the entire financial burden unaided. The social worker will know what resources are available in your father's situation, and how to apply. Medicare is likely to be an option. If he is near the end of life's journey, hospice may be appropriate. But call Social Services and get the ball rolling.
Helpful Answer (0)

jan, does he not qualify for Medicade? What about calling social services to see what they can do to help your financial situation? Maybe someone else with some experience can give you some advice.

Pat, did you say that you bought the Condo 20 yrs ago and if so, why is it still in your mom's name? I thought medicade had a 5 year gap where if you had your mom's property been in your name over 5 yrs they couldn't bother it. However, don't quote me and not sure if the insurance is different in each state.
I wish I could help both of you more but right now I'm still confused about this 'power of attorney' and 'durable power of attorney.' My husband and mnl has property and they both went a few months back to see a 'power of attorney' to update her 'Will' to get a certain no good using relative off my mnl's Will. However, from reading from the 36 Hour book I am very confused. "A power of attorney becomes void if the person who granted it becomes mentally incapacitated" This mean that if you have a power of attorney to do your mom's banking, you will no longer have the authority when she developes dementia" (pg. 448 - 449).
She was already diagosed with AD before we went and that was one of the reason we went to protect her assests. So, do we now need to seek a durable power of attorney? Confused...
Helpful Answer (0)

My mother requires assisted living since a back injury last month, and no insurance covers custodial care either at home or in a nursing home; we now have an assistant nurse coming in our home to help out. What I am afraid of in California is that once my mothers' assets are used up and she must then go on Medicaid (Medi-Cal), that the State may take away our condo after she dies. The condo is in a durable trust, all in her name, and I am to be the trustee after she dies. We bought it over 20 years ago, and I want to stay in in myself, keeping the condo as a sole owner. I cannot move because no landlord will take me anywhere else, being that I am out of work after losing my job in February 2012.

Please comment on the above situation. Thank you.

Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter