Are advance directive for health care good in all states?

Asked by

Our mother prepared an Advance Directive for Health Care in Georgia. She is planning a move to FL or UT and wants to know if another POA is needed.

Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Expert Answer
3931 helpful answers
I would definitely ask an attorney who knows MD law. States can vary widely about what is required and you don't want any nasty surprises at a time of crisis. Better to have it all defined ahead of time. Good luck.
The key here is that every state has different forms and different laws. Look for state-by-state advanced directives guidelines at or go to your state's health department website.
Definitely check if anyone is moving to Kansas. They are finally working on one state wide but until that is implemented it was up to individual if they would accept and more than likely if they accepted they would still make you complete a new one for that facility.
Cknutson: If your aunt was scammed by a "friend" I would try to go to the local police department and see if they prosecute elder scams. If they do, you might have a shot of getting some justice for your aunt.

However, if your aunt was using this woman to take her to her appointments etc because none of the family was close enough to do so or monitor the helpful friend, the door was open to a person who wants to manipulate your aunt.
You really can not do elder care of a family member from some distant location, depending on unsupervised helpers is asking for problems of this kind.

In general, too many of our elders are left on their own to find helpers as they age and they are very vulnerable to all types of elder abuse. It is all about the family being present in the elder's life to help them as they age.
I did not have any problems with a move from Pa to MD.
I would ask an elder law lawyer to be sure in both FL and UT. I think both states probably have Advanced Directives for Health Care and POAs however, I do think each state has specifics on how they should be written, what has to be included so the document is recognized in each state.
When mom was moved from NJ to MD new MOLST forms had to be filled out . Check with the new state attorney or NH staff to be sure.
Your mother is planning to move to Florida or Utah? Well, google each state and ask the question about their laws for advanced directives. Remember, Social Security DOES NOT recognize a POA. You have to be made a Representative Payee in order to have those funds paid into a separate bank account (Chase has one for this purpose) and account for where the monies are spent with a yearly accounting to SSA.
We had a problem with a directive drafted in new york during an emergency in connecticut. I don't know if the ER personnel were mistaken or if there was actually a different form for CT. I think it would be wise to have all her legal papers reviewed when, or maybe even before, she moves.
Every state has advance directives. Many of the forms are similar, but each may have a different format. I believe all states have forms regarding life sustaining treatment and these forms are used when someone enters a long-term care setting or has a hospital admission. These forms vary state to state, in Maryland they are MOLST, in Florida & Utah they are POLST-physician orders for life sustaining treatment. I have not had any issues with advance directives not being accepted if the person is out of the state they were completed in. You can check with the Area Agency on Aging or Bureau of Senior Services; they can give you information on specific requirements in that state.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support