Why don't they have adult day-care centers but only for night-time care?

Having had my mom in adult day-care for a while, I fully realize the benefits. Now, we have moved and don't have an adult day-care center close by but I am blessed to have a lady that takes mom to her house so I have my days free. However, I'm wondering why no one has come up with the concept of "overnight care". I have slept with my mother for the last 7 years and, due to her dementia and poor sleep patterns, I'm pretty much existing in a fog of my own now. What I wouldn't give for a night alone in my bed and some sleep!! I'm wondering why someone doesn't come up with the idea of night-time care - a place where you could take your loved one just for them to sleep - no meals, no meds, no bathing - you take your loved one after dinner at home and in their nightclothes and they could have a TV room where they could watch TV if they wanted, but they would just primarily sleep and then the caregivers could pick them up in the AM and take them home for breakfast and the rest of the day. Bad idea???

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
Uncle Dave might be legit folks - it has been done:

I imagine it is hard to get great staff like that to work regular night shift, but apparently not impossible...

The goal of the ASAP system is to provide frail elders with services which will enable them to live independently with dignity and comfort in their own homes, preventing or postponing the need for institutional care. In order to receive services through the
ASAP program, elders must meet certain clinical and income guidelines. The
guidelines can be obtained by calling the local ASAP.

Consult an elder attorney regarding frail elder medicaid wavers

My apologies for mess made of links in the post "a place to go during the evening or at night". The links showing Dave Mainwaring's Knowledge Network are a mess. It was a cut and pasted effort gone bad.

A PLACE TO GO DURING THE EVENING OR AT NIGHT

DayCare-at-Night programs provide individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease a place to go for evening(s) or night(s).

Who is the A DayCare at Night program for?
DayCare at Night program provide individuals with Alzheimer’s Disease who need supervised day-care an evening or at night.

they are:
Who are living in their own homes (or with a caregiver)
who: Are in the early- to mid-stage of the disease
who: Don’t require constant one-on-one assistance
who: Have some mobility (some programs may allow a self-propelled wheelchair)
Who: Are not physically or verbally abusive
Who: Do not wander excessively
Depending on the program, you may need:
Documentation of a doctor’s diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer’s
Proof the person lives within the service area
An intake examination by the staff to determine eligibility according to its own DCN requirements

Delivery of A DayCare at Night program
Many programs may offer door-to-door transportation
programs may be part of stand-alone DayCare at Night center, specifically set up to provide DayCare at Night services, or they may operate within community centers or assisted living facilities

It takes just one person to encourage setting up Evening-Daycare or daycare-at-night program for those with dementia or a Alzheimer's Cafe

If YOU are using or involved with a assisted living facility, senior services, day-care, caregivers, senior center, or area agency talk about setting up a Evening-Daycare or daycare-at-night program for those with dementia or a Alzheimer's Cafe

Search on Google for “Alzheimer's Day Care at Night” blog and the “Alzheimer's Cafe‘s” blog.

ALZ, Cafes come by a number of names, Memory Cafes, Alzheimer's Cafes, Dementia Cafes. In the UK many have been in existence for years.

Currently the concept is gaining momentum and hundreds of memory cafes sprouting up everywhere.

The concept is to provide a social occasion, a meetup, for anyone with dementia / Alzheimer's, their care givers and family. They are informal and generally free. Activities vary.

Any way you can spread the idea of Evening-Daycare or Alzheimer's Cafe programs to more communities will help.
------------
alzdaycareatnight

Alzheimer's Day Care at Night guide to establishing Evening-Daycare. Promoting the establishment of new programs.
Carers often experience chronic sleep deprivation. At the onset of night-time. The demons of anxiety, anger, fear, hallucinations and paranoia come out. Night time can be unpredictable, up and down cycles. A DCN provides a place where Alzheimer's DayCare-at-Night programs offer activities to those who need supervised care. Those enrolled can enjoy daycare activities offered in evenings or over night..

I've thought about this for years, especially when Dad was alive and I worried about him at home at night alone. He couldn't afford care both day and night and so I/he chose day for him.

Hebrew Home for the Aged (if memory serves me correctly) in the Bronx (NYC) has a nighttime care program - the first such program in the country.

What I would give to have a night's sleep right now. There clearly is a need for night care, whether it's in the form of respite for the caregiver or to accomodate people that have to work nights (or work overtime at night).

The concept of night care is not new. The plan of wait to see what the state where you live will allow is the basis of so few or none at all night care centers, Thankfully the government is now more aware of dementia as a national problem more laws and initiatives have been put into play. I plan to open Night care centers in every city in Ga. The first of many will be in Woodstock Georgia with an opening (if all goes well) of April 6th 2015. I am a home health nurse with 25 years of watching how you struggle to keep them home. I know and I will help.

1 2 3 4