A unique situation. An elder's adult child has changed her quality of life. What can we do?

Hello all, I would greatly appreciate a bit of advice on an issue that may not quite be elder abuse, but is affecting the quality of life of someone important to me. Ellie is 90 years old. She has two daughters, who do not get along well with each other. For most of Ellie's elder life, her younger daughter saw to her care, and did so quite competently. But recently, stating issues regarding Ellie's finances, the elder daughter was awarded guardianship when the younger daughter could not attend a court hearing due to health issues. After the guardianship change, the elder daughter has thrown away furnishings Ellie had in her home all her life, disposed of her records, her clothing, her souveniers and knick-knacks, and her photo albums. She has prevented Ellie's family from entering the home by placing a latch on the door and instructing the live-in-aid not to open it for anyone. Ellie cannot call her family, especially her sister, whom she misses dearly. Ellie isn't being abused per-se, but her quality and joy of life seems greatly diminished. It seems as if the elder sister is just waiting for her mother to pass, in order to sell the home at great profit. Is there any recourse, since losing guardianship, that the younger sister can take to try to restore a bit of the joy that Ellie had before guardianship was lost? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

18

Answers

Yes indeed. But GrannySmith has given me something to think on. I don't want to engage in gossip and perhaps I'm overstepping my bounds, here. I'll advise the older daughter to seek legal counsel and maybe keep my distance unless an emergency pops up.

Marcus: That is such an acrimonious action! I AM APPALLED THAT THIS WAS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!

The younger sister needs to hire an attorney under these circumstances to find out what can legally be done by caregivers and guardians to find out if her sibling is legally out of line, so you could pass that info to her. For you I would also refrain from gossip until you find out from her sister if the older sibling is legally in line or not. You never know what might come your way as far as defamation of character, slander, etc... from the older sibling. Otherwise, based on what I've read, she hasn't done anything legally out of line, good for gossip though, but is it the reality once it's all picked apart and there are more legal details?

I would also say from experience and this is a good example, there are often logical reasons behind these things that only a caregiver/guardian etc... is aware of whether it makes others happy or not. It might seem cruel, but logically there are matters that have to be taken care of. I can say from my own personal experience taking care of my parents, I have learned a lot in what to expect from family, friends, hospital care, skilled nursing, nursing/assisted living, home health aides, as well as when to clear your home out of your precious stuff, when to scale down, etc.... If you don't do it yourself before you reach this point in life, it will be a mess. I can also say for a fact, it's a lot easier to deal with on your own as a child of a parent, when you have the parents permission, and that parent has decided it is time. And they may be what's going on here. In general, a good example of why we all should take care of our own business ahead of time.

Well, the younger sister actually disposed of all of her mother's possessions, everything she had spend her whole life collecting, just out in the garbage. And not because the home was cluttered, it wasn't.
But other than that, all the bills are taken care of. There are no outward signs of abuse except that the mother has been completely isolated from her family and friends.
The sad part is, that because of her memory issue, she wouldn't be able to tell anyone that she has been isolated.

Seek out an elder law attorney.

Marcus how do you know what is going on with this lady? Are you a relative?

Marcus, are you on speaking terms with the Guardian sister?

Katiekate - I respectfully disagree with you having worked for AZ's Child Protective Services as a case manager and had one of the Adult Protective Services come to my house (because one of my nasty neighbor's reported my husband had been found wandering) without a warrant and stated she would call the Sheriff's office if I did not let her in. I also used the police to gain entrance into an apt. for one of my children without a warrant. All I needed to do was produce my credentials. This is the one area that has an exception, and if you haven't worked for these agencies, then you do not know the rules.

Sunnygirl, that raises an interesting issue about guardianship. There is medical guardianship, there is estate conservatorship, and there is the combo the two into one person. Yes, anyone acting as estate guardian is supposed to give accounting of possessions, funds, what any money is spent for. That's a good point.

Marcus50, that could be another way to make a case for younger sis, if older sis is not doing an accounting of mom's possessions and financial matters.

I'd forgotten about that because, in my case, it was for medical guardianship only. A Trust was acting as financial POA for my grandmother.

I would seek legal advice from an attorney who litigates that type of case. They should be able to give you an opinion on what evidence you need in court.

In most jurisdictions, someone can file to have the Guardian changed, if they believe the present Guardian is not doing their job properly.

If she's disposing of property, she should have to report it to the court. Most places require an annual accounting of property, assets, debts, distributions, etc.