ADD and forgetfullness with caregiving.

One thing I have noticed with all the stress is my ability to concentrate on tasks. I have become so ADD about everything. I cant seem to concentrate on my work. I get so easily distracted (internet is a big distraction). Can seem to remember to do certain things, I make notes, set reminders, do all the things I need to. I have done reading on ADD (still trying to finish that book) my wife is a special needs teacher so I get all the signs. Does other care giver get this with the stress? I have so many distractions then that gets me more stressed. Anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? I guess I have had a little of it all my life (well maybe more than a little). With doing some research I have all the patterns of someone with ADD (not a severe case). Just seems to have increased with all the stress.

21

Answers

1 2 3
At least I got my taxes in. It is just frustrating at I know I am ADD, I didn't realize it unit recently. I see people who can totally focus on one thing and I'd love to be able to do that. I am working on some things, less social media, less cocktails, better eating, working out (plan to today) Just need to start focusing on me and leave everyone else to fiend for themselves.It is hard to want things to be neat and orderly but living with people who could care less. SIL for the most part is a slob, dad is a "stuffer" (stuffs things in corners behind chairs etc.). The bedrooms of tiers stink to high heaven. Now that the cold weather is here it will become worse (Laundry baskets overflow in their rooms) and the smells seep into the hallway.
So maybe if I stop worrying about everyone else and start on me things will get better? I don't know but I will try.

The only tasks I see as crucial now are medication, cooking, and cleaning the bathroom. The rest can get done as I feel inspired to do it. Mom is such a clutterbug that cleaning a room is a major effort. Sometimes I just run the carpet sweeper in the living room. A good vacuuming would mean I would have to spend 20 minutes decluttering her corner. She keeps everything she needs in arm's reach. The table and floor around her chair are a mess. And I rarely, rarely clean her bedroom. It is a den of craziness that you would have to see to believe. It totally defeats me to look at it. I really believe she thinks something is going to come up through the floor to get her. She covers it with quilts, blankets, shoes, and clothes so there isn't any floor showing through. When I get this idea of cleaning her room, I end up just leaving, shaking my head. She doesn't even notice the dust and dirt. Ah-choo!

Well Jesse you have helped me again in sharing your situation. I was struggling with the issue of organization and neatness while living in my mothers house. I just made up my mind to stop being cinderella but I was feeling guilty. When I first came back it was an affront to my psyche to see how things were and live it. Sometimes it still is but just today I was like I have to stop beating myself for not keeping this house clean. and every effort I make is just useless anyway. I find that its getting easier to look and leave it alone. Your post gave encouragement.

ff, my mother has always been a lazy woman. As she is getting older and more forgetful, more things are going ignored. The floor is a fine place for trash. And if she leaves cabinets open, then she won't have to open them again the next time she needs something. There's logic to it, and no harm is really done except to my psyche.

Jessie, reading your post reminds me of my sig other who has no memory issues, etc. that is just how he is :P

I can come home from work and know what he has been up to, kinda like a trail throughout the house. I can tell what he had for lunch just by looking at the sofa and carpet. Yes, he was raised by a pack of wolves !!

Had to laugh when I am reading these things. This morning I went into the kitchen and half the cabinets and drawers were wide open. There were paper towels and dish clothes thrown here and there, toilet tissue bits on the floor, and grease spatters on the stove. So I closed things, heated myself some breakfast, and retreated. Having everything neat and organized is a fantasy of bygone days.

tgengine, same here knowing where everything is in my house. Knowing what items are in what drawer and on what side of the drawer :)

But add tons of items from my parents house has thrown that OCD into a tizzy. I am constantly searching for their items, just can't remember where those things are, in what drawer, in what box or what bag.

TG I think losing focus after doing taxes for 2 hours is normal, it is your perfectionism and perhaps your OCD that is telling you otherwise.
And having a garage or office that looks like something out of a magazine is a fantasy unless you never use those rooms or are an OCD hermit. No wonder you are so stressed!

I guess it is a blessing and a curse?My dream is to have the office and garage that you see in magazines, not a thing out of site. My buddy has one of those but then again he is the guy with a check book and I am the guy with every tool imaginable and the knowledge how to use them. I started yesterday organizing the office and doing taxes (yes months late) ADD. It took me 2 hours, got it half way. now today to try to do that again.... I need to give my self timers. The big issue is once things are nice and neat everyone sees that as a landing place for their stuff.... Hence my OCD... I was close to doing my spice cabinet alphabetical but as soon as I do someone messes it up so why bother. I can tell someone where a screwdriver is in what drawer on what side in my tool box, I keep everything in the same place for years, that is how I can operate. Years of my father just throwing tool where ever and taking a long time to find them.
It's nice to hear that as long as my ADD doesn't conflict with my OCD I will be OK? I hope so.

My son has adult ADD and he is prescribed medication for it...low dose Adderrall XL. The stuff works wonders when he takes it but after he takes it for so long, it hinders his ability to sleep so he will go off it for a couple weeks then restart. He hasnt taken it for a few months and all the symptoms are back. It is no fun to be around. If you think you truly have ADD, go to the doctor and he can prescribe a plan of action.

1 2 3