What activities can people with dementia or Alzheimer's do?

My husband used to love to do so many things. Now I can not find anything to interest him. All he wants to do is ride in the car - maybe get a milkshake and not to go home. I am really tired of driving around for no reason and really no place to go. I try to think of anything he might do to fill some time but haven't come up with anything he wants to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

20

Answers

I also found a toddler age ‘Shape Sorter’ for momma to work. Sometimes she wants to do it, then she wants me to do it. Sometimes she takes it back. Also I will try the ‘Activity Board’ with laces to tie, buttons and zippers to close, etc. and see if that works. I realize what works today might not even be relevant tomorrow.

what activities can you share with a 94 year old parent who is living with another sibling (guardian) who does little to stimulate her. I only see my mother about once a week at the moment. There is tension in the household where she lives with my sister.

I recently took my mother ( with demensia) to a quite restaurant with artist paintings on the wall. Afterward, we went to the park, sat on a bench and watched people walk by and enjoyed the outdoors.

My mum has lost interest in everything BUT shes started knitting again which is good my aunt cant understand how she can follow a pattern and have dementia? She has early stages so still quite capable but the watching tv is simular just background noise likes watching "HOARDING"???? the nurse has put her name down for daycare but i know shell hate it as she hated respite and boy did she let me know about it!!

any restorative therapy ideas that one person could do with a group of dementia paients?

All these ideas got me thinking outside the box. There are definitely some things I need to try! Each person is different...I just started using an Adult Day Care and it has been good for my husband and fabulous for me! I feel such relief! The cost is very good and they have lots of activities....Keep trying things!!

That's pretty cool, actually.

I came back to this thread, was reading all these post again most were from a while ago. I am so delighted to see how our individual experiences have a purpose now. We live and learn and now we can share to teach others. letitbe4u mentioned the cards to solve 2 problems this helps her Dad to be independent, and incase she can't remember, she has it written. This is also a good way for record keeping and proof of caregiving duties. This raised a thought that my help others. Which is, if, you post notes such as the date and the daily events for each day. (granted they can see well) Say 3:00 is snack time and 3:30 is a game of cards the bordem becomes a waiting time for next event.

Some routines work and others don't for my mother. For her, going to the Adult Day Care twice a week and having a Homemaker-companion in once a week has really helped her be more lively and less anxious. Although she loathes the RideMe van ride home. I would not be able to afford these things if it wasn't for the State of Connecticut's Home Care for the Elderly program. When she's home, on good days, she wants to help with whatever she can, but on bad days she tired and in pain and anxious. I try to keep her occupied with watching the birds at the window bird feeder or looking at books or magazines. But she is a social person and prefers having someone nearby to chat with.

Good luck!

Jig Saw puzzles with less than 100 pieces . Start the puzzle and work with them.
Card games that are simple like Go Fish, Old Maid, etc. Chinese checkers is simple. I administer my father's meds on an index card with the date marked on it and tape the pills on the card. After he takes the pill he signs the card and carries it with him. Then when he asks Did I take my pill? I say look and read the card. It has really worked! Good luck to all of you the Lord is taking special care of our loved ones by giving them the Long Goodbye.