What are some activities for an 84-year-old woman to keep her hands busy and mind active?

My 84 yr old grandma gets bored but does NOT entertain herself well. I just need ideas of things to keep her busy for 1/2 hr to an hour at a time so that I can get things done around the house. She can't see well enough or comprehend enough to read anymore, doesn't like tv, won't do easy crosswords, doesn't have the patience for puzzles. I'd like to come up with some easy crafty type ideas that are fairly easy to do that she can work on and then use to give to people as thank you gifts. Any ideas? Please.......

30

Answers

1 2 3
when you say she doesn't like TV, is it smart oriented? You Tube for example... My mother enjoys so many old shows she watched 50 years ago, Big Valley, Bonanza, or Murder she Wrote, or various Pastors, music videos like Gaithers. I bought my mother a 55 inch smart tv for her room and removed the one from the living room. It makes family have to gather in her room to visit. She is basically bedridden. Bought a recliner ($10 Goodwill) for myself. Living together, not a lot of one on one visiting so now we are more prone to watch a movie together. Another idea is to give her small nic nacs, picture frames etc to help you clean. Good Luck.

Anne123, I'm gonna try rolling coins. Thanks

tactile activities are mindless but brilliant for the elderly, play dough, toddler activities on the internet as they have the same concentration span and similar abilities, paint and colour by number, candle wax painting get large candle piece of paper and paint brush short thick handled brush with not too long bristles on brush, draw picture with candle then paint with paint hang and dry.
rolling paper for paper toll, they get a kick from, different coloured paper rolled together, then unroll and get to re roll, coloured macaroni make into great neclaces and bracelets, you can get plastic sewing needles with big eyes for wool and use rug matting to sew, this can be reused over and over again, the op shops have knitted jumpers that unpick and they then role into balls

The lady I care for recently lost her eye sight. Any ideas how to keep her entertained? She don't like TV anymore and she has listened to hundreds of audio books and they are starting to bore her,

agfoley, i did not mean to sugest that your overall plan was demeaning. It certainly is not for someone who has advanced dementia. It is not. i was just stating my personal rection to it if I was still mentally healthy but physically incapacitated. so often people with physical limitations are treated as though they are also mentally damaged as well.
Unfortunately I am a stubbon old woman who has to learn the hard way as in "Mum you should not be using the circular saw" i will and I do but not on the days I feel dizzy. i still drive and hopefully safely and cautiously but know better than to try heavy traffic in big cities.
Anyway enough of me. I do understand your native culture does include the care and value of your elders in the same way as many non westernized cultures have the same compassion and responsibility and applaude that.
I really was not wanting to trash you plan but just point out that many elders are so tired at this point they frequently just want to be left alone and not stimulated even if it is "good for them" Blessings to you. i do have good friends who are american Indians but don't know nearly enough about your culture.

Linda09, can you take the middle seat out of the van and just get him in to sit on the floor with some pillows? maybe laying on the floor of the van would work, with a bed made of blankets?

Get a box of assorted screws washers, nuts and bolts and give him/her an egg carton to sort them into.

Get some assorted dried beans (several kinds or the 15 beans in one pack) and elmers glue and have him/her make a design with the beans. You can even given them a pattern to fill in with beans of their choosing. For a backing I like to use wood shingles that I get at the hardware supper store. They usually sell me open bundles. These can be used as gifts or not.
sort colored pencils.
My mom asked for a box of crayons (crayola of course) and a kids coloring book and enjoys coloring the pictures as long as she doesn;t have to come up with the design.
Sorting coupons? Cutting out coupons with kiddie scissors? Grouping by type. You cold even make a "Shopping list and find coupons for it"
Polishing shoes. Polishing Nails. Polishing silver or similar.
Get one of those "paint with water" books that has the paint already on the paper and all they have to do is dip the brush in water and Paint away to see the design. Easy to do and very little clean up.
Color paint chips from the hardware store...cut into sections and arrange into designs or pictures. Mosaics.
Get some artificial flowers and vases to "arrange"

Veronica91, I'm happy to hear you are still happily independent. Unfortuneately, the awful last stages of Alzheimer's is taking over my mom's mind and body. She's different now. She can't live on her own so my husband and I brought her into our home instead of dropping her off at a nursing home. As Native Americans, our culture teaches us to care for our elders. Since she can't remember the activities she once enjoyed, it's been my desire to make her days happy, comfortable, lively, and purposeful so that she's not simply wasting away in a chair in front of the TV. Hence, the plan. It's not a perfect plan nor is it set in stone and Im sorry if you believe it's demeaning because she's not a child but I know her mind and body needs to stayi active for her overall well being. I wish my mom was still able to do all the things you still can do but that's not the case anymore or else I would welcome her to go where she pleases, do as she pleases, when she pleases. To ignore her plight with Alzheimer's and not intervene by any means possible to ensure her safety, health, and overall happiness would be unloving and reckless on my part. I hope you can understand my motives. Respectfully, Agfoley.

agfoley, you have created an excellent system for a rebelious 3 year old and it obviously works for someone with Alz in their late 80's. Try that on me and I would tell you what to do with your gold stars.
Somedays I just don't feel like showering or getting dressed and spend the entire day with my laptop just surfing the web comfortably dressed in my flanel nightgown and a quilt to keep me warm. I don't have dementia or depression but I have earned the right to do as I please in my golden years. i do what i want when I want and in my own time. I take my medication as prescribed as long as i know the reason and if I don't agree with a certain test or proceedure the Dr knows about it up front.
Going out to eat is no longer a treat because I have lost a lot of weight so the nerves to my legs get pinched and I roll out after a couple of hours looking like a drunk on half a glass of wine if i even finish that. On top of that I have swallowing difficulties so choosing an entree is never easy and forget fatty fast food.
Life changes as we age and it is very important for our younger relatives to realize us olders are not going to do a lot of things just because they are good for us.
agfoley don't get me wrong you are a wonderful caregiver and have found a plan that works for your loved one

I have enjoyed reading the ideas presented here! My mom (89 yrs old) has alzheimer and is becoming increasingly withdrawn within a year. I have seen her decline as others have mentioned here; she doesn't want to do anything but watch TV all day though she does have a home health care provider during the day. She has become increasingly rude and disrespectful too. I figure its depression and boredom to be stuck at home all day. She also began refusing to get up to shower in the morning though my mom has always been an early bird! She began eating breakfast at 11:00 AM because she just wanted to stay in bed all morning, saying, "Just give me 10 more minutes" ... trying to RUN the SHOW and annoy her provider! So, I created a daily schedule on a huge sticky note chart paper (posted in her bedroom and provider takes it from room to room so its visible) that my mom and her health care provider can follow to break up the day which includes two "Activity" time slots, a Bible Study and Prayer time slot and a daily walk. She now has a wake up time, snack times, lunch time, TV time, etc. I kept most activities to 30 minutes due to her attention span. TV time is a anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2, so her provider can either do the cleaning/washing or meal prep while mom views her favorite shows. The first day we implemented the schedule, my mom put up a fight and told her provider she was fired! LOL! But thankfully with Alzheimer's patients quickly forget why they were angry and life goes on like it never happened! Whew! I am grateful for all the ideas I found her to occupy my mom during her scheduled "Activity" time. In addition, because my mom is very, very, stubborn and will often get into verbal arguments with her provider I had to implement a Rewards System with the daily schedule so she will behave...she has to earn a set amount of gold stars by Friday in order to be driven to her favorite store to shop on Saturday or eat at her favorite restaurant after church on Sunday. Rewards system is posted on the chart. NOTE: I have never taken away the "rewards" if she doesn't have enough gold stars because I solely use them as a motivator during the week so she has something to "earn", makes the day less boring, and tempers her ornery behavior. Its working!

1 2 3