They no longer have a credit rating to secure a mortgage loan.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I wouldn't depend on HUDD at this point. It's very hard to get and right now there is no money available. I would try to talk to them about going to an AL. Sell the house and use the money for their care.
Helpful Answer (0)

I'd suggest you take a step back and realistically look at
- what care they each need right now, like what are their diseases & abilities
- how are these likely to change within a year for each of them
- are they fixed on staying at home or willing to move into a facility
- what the property value is (& if it's sort of accurate to what it could be sold for). This is an VERY important # as equity lending - like from a Reverse mortgage- will be at best maybe 50% of value. RMs require that insurance(s) updated; repairs & maintenance done as needed; pay taxes & all must happen for RM to stay compliant. When they die or move into a facility like a NH, the debt & interest on the RM is due in full within a few weeks or the RM calls in the mortgage and sells property. The math for RMs are not to the borrowers benefit unless its a rare property that more than doubles in value over the life of the RM as the debt, interest & fees add up significantly. So does their place have assessor value over 350k - 400k?? And with minimal deferred maintenance?

If your folks currently have difficulty covering house costs & upkeep & if property is of modest or low value (like under 100k) doing a RM is imo just putting a band-aid on a much bigger financial problem. They can't afford RM house requirements over time & they can't afford 24/7 ($15k) or 12/5 ($5500 mo) in-home care costs @ $20-25 hr for very long. Their a couple so double costs. Care is very expensive & that's why it's important to realistically know what degree of care they need now and likely for the next year. Unless they can get a huge amount (imo over 300k) of equity $, to me, any equity lending is a waste of time & $.

Sell house, rent in IL or AL and spend down till they qualify for Medicaid & Section 8 housing or can qualify for NH admission. Make sure they get their legal updated so your DPOA & can get them onto lists for housing, access medical records, etc. Good luck, stay organized and try to look at what's the best long view decisions.
Helpful Answer (4)

You go on Medicaid instead.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter