About to get a hospital bed for my Mother, what can I get to prepare?

in the next month or so, a hospital bed will be arriving at my house for my mother to use, she's obese and has severe large swollen legs from lymphedema. so the doctor has ordered an extra large electric hospital bed. But my mother has incontinence, we use underpads and depends pull up diapers, and she has a commode she uses because the walk to the bathroom is to hard for her now. I'm worried about when she's in the hospital bed that the pee is just going to drip all over off the sides or something, is it ridiculous that it stresses me out just thinking about it? I know it's not her fault and she cant control it anymore, I've been trying to think about what i can do? buy lots and lots of blankets and sheets to put under her with the underpad? but then i think about how much laundry im going to have to clean and oh god i get stressed again. I've heard there's such things as waterproof protectors for a hopsital bed? do those things work? and I'm terrified that she's going to have pressure sores. I've heard so many horror stories of seniors suffering in their hospital bed. and I'm so worried that even though my mother wants this bed so bad. i worry it's not gonna work out and she's going to get terrible bed sores. I need advice! what can i do in the fight against the pee? and to prevent or keep ahead of possible bed sores?

36

Answers

1 2 3 4
if she is eligible for Medicare, they will pay for an hydraulic lift that's very helpful and easy to use! Of course, it has to be prescribed by a doctor but, I doubt you will have any problem with that.

First off, Allegromedical is an very good and very reasonable place to get supplies. Gloves, bed pads and honestly anything. Walgreens runs specials on adult diapers a lot. I get daddy's when they are buy one get one half off.
Second, is a foley catheter an option? I take care of my daddy and he's pretty large as well and can't walk. He has a foley catheter that I change every 20-30 days and has had it for over 4 years. This has truly been a God send to us as he would wet through his diapers and his bed protectors (I used 3) and he would still be soaked. It never ran into the floor but, never the less he and his bedding were saturated and I was afraid of him getting infection in pressure wounds (caused by sitting in his wheel chair). Does your mom use a Bedside commode? If so, get some 4 gallon trash bags and line the pail with it. You will do a dance at how amazingly helpful this is. Pull out the bag, wipe the potty and your done! I use a diaper Genie too. :) Not sure if anything I've mentioned will help but, I certainly wish you luck and know where you are.

Re: Toddler size pillows. My father is in a nursing home. I have purchased two of the "travel" pillows for him and they are really great. He likes to use those rather than the larger pillows.

Gloves gloves gloves!!! Washable bed pads - at least 2. One in use & one in washer. I also put kids disposable "goodnights" pad on top of washable one! Do not take off paper over the sticky pads!!! You do not want to stick this to washable pad so that if soiled it is easily removed! I also buy tons of scented disposable kitchen trash bags that I use solely for disposing everything used during change! I keep bedpan on bed during change to capture diaper and wipes etc that immediately are put into scented bag! You get a system and just make sure BEFORE you start a change that all is lined up!!! Prevents frustration and allows for you to not show stress to your mom!!! You will be surprised over how quick and easy it becomes! I have nurse aide twice a week to help me change linens and bathing and chat time to keep me sane! I am fortunate that she is gentle and caring to mom & me and has given me valuable tips! I often wonder about caring for someone heavy set. My mom is so so. Dead weight is no joke and you sure don't need to injure either of you! My mom has strength still to roll side to side and that is helpful! I buy all our supplies on Amazon which is great since I can't just go shopping! We have hospital bed in living room and physical therapy is working on getting her to be up and moving at least to commode and her chair! Everyday is a new education! Oh most important is to invest in a plush thick bedpan to go over mattress unless you are fortunate enough to get a Tempurpedic mattress! It makes a world of difference in mattress comfort! Everyone seems to have offered wonderful advice! You will get your system together and don't be frustrated if it takes a few times to get in the groove!

I don't know if this may help and I hope it does not offend you - For anything disposable I would consider either the container that holds a series of sacks that one puts an item in and then it's sealed off for the next item/event .... I am thinking of a thing that is used for baby diapers and also there is the same set-up for a pets litter-box. I know that it's a bit different use yet it would allow the disposal of items to be collected easier for discard. This could be used for anything from disposable undergarments to wipes. It may make things easier in some part for the both of you.

My mother and I discussed many years ago what would happen if I were unable to properly take care of her. It seems to me that at this time you are at that point. Think about changing her diapers,changing her clothes, changing the sheets with her still on the bed, etc. You say she is obese. How will you be able to handle her weight? I would look into her eligibility for Medicare or home care. Also, Hospice may be an option at this time. That is something that you will need to discuss with her doctor.

Buy some toddler size pillows, they are very handy if you have to prop her on her side for bathing or changing sheets. Definitely get waterproof pads, ones you can wash and triple rinse. Antifungal sneaker spray will prevent odors.

You need PEOPLE to help you! Who are you talking to? Ask the doctor or the hospital for a Social Work referral. My local Senior Center put me in touch with an agency that will do a needs assessment. You are not the first person to face these problems. If you look for the right kind of help, I bet they can relieve your worries and provide concrete help. They can even give unbiased advice about when to surrender her to professionals.

I feel your panic, and it's a valid response to a HUGE responsibility. But panic is not your friend. Beg an organized friend to help you with planning. He or she might even make a few phone calls to help. For me, when I get even one straw removed from my camel's back, I feel real, disproportionate relief.

Keep posting, because we understand what you're going through.

Is mom -although obese -still able to do her ADL's or is she dependent on others for her to transition from hospital bed to chair or commode? If she had a sudden weight shift could she totally on her own pull herself up & off? If there was a fire, could she get up & out?

Think carefully about this please. Caregiving in general is hard but caregiving for the obese where you place yourself in danger from heavy lifting, etc. isn't the sensible long term plan. Start to think of a back-up plan. Many facilities will not take the extreme obese as they don't have the installed equipment needed nor the extra staffing required (like a 3 person bathing team). She may need to go onto a waiting list at one of the few facilities that can do obese resident level of care. I'd like to suggest you take some time now to find facilities that will take her & place her on the list, then see how it goes at home. If it just becomes too much both for your sanity & back and her health, at least you have a countdown to get her into a place.

You are on a hard road. Be sure to get a memory foam mattress pad or there are mattresses that are made for pressure release. This means they fill with air and give pressure relief at intervals via a motor system. The Doctor has to justify it with a diagnosis to merit it if insurance is to pay. An egg crate memory foam is the economical route to help with pressure relief. Then the waterproof covers and pads to guard against accidents. Lots of good advice on here!!

1 2 3 4