awagner20 Asked January 2010

Should Arthritis be treated with morphine?

She's 90 and in a nursing home.

18

Answers

Veronica91 Feb 21, 2018
Any kind of pain should be treated appropriately. When you think of morphine non professionals tend to think of giving it by injection or IV. In the case of arthritis pain it is given in pill form either combined with Tylenol or by itself as a tiny pill.
Doses of morphine are always or should be titrated to the amount of pain the patient is experiencing. It does not have to be given continuously, but should be available to take before the patient is exposed to activity known to cause distress. For example if riding in the car and going to the Dr gives the patient pain it is a good idea to use pain relief 1/2 hour prior to embarking on the journey. Same applies to exercising which is so important to arthritis sufferers. If joints are not kept moving the joints will stiffen and be fixed in a bent position.
As a retired hospice nurse I am a great advocate for effective pain relief even if it means using doses usually regarded as normal.
As long as the dose is increased gradually till the pain is eased no harm should come to the patient. yes they may become sleepy but they will be comfortable and of course should not drive or operate
dangerous machinery.
Morhine is the swear word of the narcotics family so inparts fear whenever it is mentioned and blamed for many untoward affects.
It is a fact of life that most drugs can be dangerous and naturally caution must be used . Do not deny someone pain relief.
Reply to Veronica91

Isthisrealyreal Feb 21, 2018
I have learned that arthritis is because the body is to acidic, when i actively keep my body alkaline, no arthritis pain. I have tried apple cider vinegar with local honey, make a lemonade kinda drink, works good but hard to have a cold drink all day and to much sweet for me. I have found that adding some baking soda to every glass of water does the trick and when weather intensifies swelling, arnica Montana 30x does the rest. I pray you find the right fix for mom, I just have it in one finger and a big toe but, it can drive me to distraction if I don't control my body acid. My studies have also shown that it can't get worse in an alkaline system, so I am diligent, if one toe and finger can ruin my day I can't imagine how much bigger joints would hurt. It also makes me tired and kinda dopey if I let it flair up, I now carry baking soda with me every where and put it in all water I drink. Long post but I hope you find some usefulness out of it.

Countrymouse Feb 21, 2018
I agree, whole-heartedly! - but it was HolidayEnd who pointed out that advice should never be wasted :)

Aprildp Feb 21, 2018
Countrymouse,
You are correct. Even thought the initial post was years ago, it has currently helped me since my mother is in the current situation. I found this post while googling online. So it is never too late to offer advice and provide your experience.
thank you
Aprildp
Reply to Aprildp

HolidayEnd Dec 18, 2017
Countrymouse: whoops! But perhaps someone else might read this and it be helpful! ‘Blush’
Reply to HolidayEnd

Countrymouse Dec 18, 2017
I doubt if the patient is still in any sort of pain, God willing. This thread is eight years old.

HolidayEnd Dec 18, 2017
I would think it depended on how severe the arthritis is. Also I would think what type of arthritis the person has would be a factor. As an arthritis sufferer myself and also a retired nurse, I can assure you arthritis CAN BE agonizing. But also many days are better than others. Weather affects arthritis pain severity. So I’m sure a doctor is closely monitoring the arthritis patient and apparently the patient is in severe pain.
Reply to HolidayEnd

scadvice Sep 2014
I gotta watch the date of these post!
Reply to scadvice

scadvice Sep 2014
Loratab is a common misspelling of Lortab. Loratab is a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone (a semisynthetic opioid analgesic) is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.

In some very, very rare types of arthritis, yes, but understand that the secondary side effects of Roxanol (Morphine Sulfate) like respiratory suppression, make it NOT the drug of choice for arthritic pain, especially in someone of that age. Consider asking the doctor about Xeljanx or some other pain medication as an alternative as Lortab doesn't seem to be doing the job....
Reply to scadvice

chimonger May 2012
It totally demends on the kind of arthritis, and how bad is it, and what else is going on, both with health and with other meds. Age is a consideration, too.
Might discuss pain relief with a Hospice department, as they can usually do far better with pain management, than otehr medical departments.
One thing I learned was that by treating the inflammation properly, it decreases need for narcotic pain meds, sometimes drastically--by 1/2 or better decreased marcotic use, simply by treating the inflammation.
Decreasing inflammation can be done by dietary choices with far less adverse effects, than pills for that.
But not eveyrone is willing to do dietary things even if it helps them feel better.
Back to pills.
There are supplements that help decrease inflammation, such as CoQ10 in very large doses [several hundred milligrams per day], and/or Turmeric [curcumin], about 4 capsules every 4 to 6 hours maximum.
There are plenty others.
There are also the pharmaceuticals that have adverse side effects, but that some prefer.
There are other pain relieving meds, including other narcotics.
There are also some other drugs, such as MEDICAL marijuana,
if it is allowed in your State,
which can help quite a bit..
..suggest using liquid, not smoke, though, as drops can be titrated [adjusted] far more carefully than the smoke.
Some folks do fine with 2 to 4 drops, others need a whole dropperful to get relief.
It also depends on what variety the plant came from, as to what effects it has--look for one with high Cannabanoids, and less THC, to avoid hallucinations or paranoia that can happen with some.
Cannabanoids are healing, THC is head-spacey.
Got to ask lots of questions of reliable sources, to learn what is better for individual case.
To date:
IMHO, there is still too much "Gonzo" gaming with that issue, largely related to how government so badly played the "dis-information game" for about 100 years, on that... but good CAN be gotten from it-
---relieves pain, seizure activity, nausea, some anxiety, relieves asthma, ione person with an intestinal bleed had that bleed stop after using 2 droppersful; and many more things it helps.
It DOES have downsides, as do any other pharmaceuticals.

One must learn more, in order to make informed, rational choices.

CUE: to have decent pain relief, it is important to keep up with doses of whatever the person is using, not let them "get behind"
--that is, avoid letting doses in the body run out--keep the blood levels more even, avoid drops in "coverage".
Do check with a Hospice nurse or director or pain control specialist, though!
Might get some blessed relief!
Reply to chimonger