I am caring now for my 97 year old mother. She receives $1800 monthly in SS and pension but my rent/bills have gone up. Can I claim her?


In the past year she has been hospitalized 4 times, in rehab, loss of sight, hearing, mobility and on oxygen. She moved in with me 2 months ago and I have to now use some of her money to support us. My money does not cover all the expenses. Can I claim her as a dependent? She will be filing taxes on her behalf as well.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Do they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.

Do they make less than $4,050 in 2017? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 in 2017 and be claimed by you as a dependent.

Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.

Are you the only person claiming them? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.