One person diaper change procedure. Any tips?

My dad is paralyzed on left side and bed ridden. My mom is going back to work. I can't seem to find a video showing me how to change his diaper and bed pad. Please help.

26

Answers

1 2 3
I am a retired RN. And I couldn’t manage changing the adult ‘diaper’ without a comrade to hold the patient safely in place while I did it. Pillows can help. But you’ll have to be a human octopus to do it alone. But anyone or the patient can help you by rolling and hanging on.
Reply to HolidayEnd

Fortunately I have not had to perform this duty for an adult. I only have one suggestion, mainly because this is a male patient. SueC1957's following description brought this to mind:
"*Always have a bed protector pad (either disposable or cloth) under patient in case of accidents! I've had patients pee and poop while the dirty diaper was off but the clean one hadn't been applied yet."

When changing my son's diapers, I learned the hard way to place a towel, washcloth or spare diaper (I used cloth diapers) over him so if there was an "accident" before the new diaper was on it would not go everywhere! This would be in addition to having protection underneath. It may not be the same for an adult male, but it certainly cannot hurt!
Reply to disgustedtoo

Roll the diaper like a towel. pull him over to one side and go on the other side of the bed and roll him over onto the diaper. its get better each time you do this process.
Reply to Babycakes61

You are not a "stupid girl."
Reply to Llamalover47

Riley,
We don't know enough about the situation to make an assumption that Sweetgirl74 is going to be his sole c/g doing this alone for the rest of her life.

Her mother sounds like she has been the main c/g but has to go back to work. There may be other paid c/g's that come into the home and possibly other siblings or family members also. Sweetgirl is kind enough to learn how to do the job. It can be a difficult situation because it's her father.

Maybe this is for a short time until his needs are assessed and they are waiting for placement. Maybe she is just a fill-in for when the regular c/g's are sick or on vacation.

It's not fair to assume that this will be an ongoing problem that Sweetgirl74 will have forever.
If he's bedridden from a stroke, then he will at least have his mind. Let's hope he will be able to communicate.
Reply to SueC1957

I understand wanting to change the diapers but - ask yourself this - is this something you want to be doing forever until the end comes? I don't think so. Perhaps it is time to remove the patient into a facility and give yourself a break. I don't think this is the life you intended living the rest of your life. And it will only t3
Reply to Riley2166

PLEASE, honey, change your name! How 'bout Sweetgirl74?
You're an angel 😇 for taking on the responsibility of changing a bedridden patient.

If the skin at the diaper area gets red, (both urine and stool can acid burn the skin), clean well then use A and D ointment or Desitin to protect it. They are both real thick and sticky but they sure do a good job of protecting. Definitely use gloves on your hands when applying or you'll go through a dozen paper towels trying to get it off! 😆
Pull gloves off by hooking the end of the glove at the wrist with a finger from the other hand and pull down. The glove will come off inside out. (Just how you want it!) Do the same with the other glove.

Changing sheets really isn't too hard. Undo the old fitted sheet from all corners. Have your dad roll on one side. You can prop him with pillows against his tummy to keep him from falling face down.
Push the old sheet inward, toward his back. Put clean fitted sheet on top and bottom of the side of mattress you're on. Roll the rest of the sheet "backwards" toward you (like a roll). Put it UNDER the old sheet. Also, at this time, put the bedpads or disposable Chux (brand name) on top of the new sheet.
Try to push the new sheet and pad as far under your dad as possible by pushing into the center of the mattress.

Now, you need to roll your dad to the opposite side. He will have to roll over the "hump" of old and new sheets. Place pillows for stability. Go to the other side and pull dirty sheet out. Put it on floor for now. The new sheet and pad will come along with it. Attach fitted part of new sheet to top and bottom of mattress. Straighten out everything. Wrinkles are uncomfortable and cause pressure spots that can lead to pressure sores (decubitus ulcers). Turn dad every 2-3 hours if he can't turn himself. Left side then back then right side then back.

Believe it or not, this will all work out. You'll get your groove on and be a pro in no time.

Take care "Sweetgirl74" and good luck.
Reply to SueC1957

My husband is close to 350 lbs. and I have to change him by myself. He is able to roll partway to the left, so we do that side first. I strip the sheets and use “flat hands” to push them under him so I can take them off when I roll him onto his right side. I bathe him then as well and wipe down the mattress with disinfectant wipes. I also change the sheets, half the bed at a time. Your efforts don’t have to be by-the-book perfect, as long as he is comfortable.
Reply to Hugemom

How to Change a Bedridden Patient's Adult Diaper

Wash and dry your hands thoroughly and put on a pair of disposable medical gloves.
If the patient's bed is adjustable, raise the entire bed to a comfortable height (usually slightly lower than your hips). Lower the head of the bed as far down to horizontal as he can tolerate.
With the patient resting on his or her back, unfasten the straps, Velcro, or adhesive tape of the adult diaper and then tuck the side farthest from you under the person's hip.
With one hand on the patient's hip and the other on his shoulder, roll him away from you onto his side. You might find this easier with the help of another able-bodied person, who can then hold the patient on his side while you work.

If you tucked the diaper far enough under his hip, you should now be able to pull the adult diaper toward you and out from under him. Roll the used diaper inward as you remove it to contain any mess.
Place the soiled adult diaper into a plastic grocery bag for disposal (but do not seal the bag yet).
Using pre-moistened wipes, or skin cleanser and disposable cloths, clean the person's diaper area, front and back, as thoroughly as possible. Avoid pressing or rubbing the skin too hard. You might need to roll the patient onto his back or other side to thoroughly clean areas you cannot reach. Place used wipes or cloths in the plastic grocery bag.

With the person still on his side, check the skin for pressure sores, which are also known as bedsores or pressure ulcers. It is important to check the skin daily for any early signs that a pressure sore has begun.
Apply barrier cream to the patient's perineum to moisturize and protect the skin.
After allowing the patient's skin to thoroughly dry, roll up one side of the new adult diaper and tuck it under his side. Flatten and position the rest of the diaper on the bed.
Roll the person back toward you onto the diaper and then pull out the rolled-up side of the diaper. Remove any wrinkles and fasten the adult diaper as directed by the manufacturer. Again, this process is easier with two people.
Remove your disposable medical gloves and place them in the plastic grocery bag before tying it closed.
Wash and dry your hands thoroughly.
If the patient's bed is adjustable, return it to the desired height and raise the head of the bed to the desired level. Cover the person with a clean sheet or blanket(s) if desired.
Finally, make sure you understand how to properly position a bed-bound patient. This can help prevent the development of bedsores and keep your loved one more comfortable.
Reply to Llamalover47

Have Dad's doctor order Occupation Therapy at home. The therapist will teach you how to do this and bathing. Bless you.
Reply to jjariz

1 2 3