I recently discovered my 98 year old mom was a foster child in several families, and probably was never provided proper hygiene training in the female area. Now in her late nineties, with dementia, and suffering with recurrent UTIs, I am finding it next to impossible to retrain her with front to back wiping. Another problem she has is left over urine in the bladder. I have exhausted sources, her personal physician, a urologist, various supplements including D. Mannose, pumpkin seed extract, female probiotics, cranberry and pomegranate juice. The main problem is she has a hard time remembering. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi BarbBrooklyn. We have shown her how to wipe by doing it a couple times for her. However, she is forgetful. Now I got her a standard Blondel Bidet several years ago. I am going to upgrade her to a more complete one with a dryer, urologist suggested Panasonic or Toto. But the problem with either, I don't think she will learn how to use the controls. Will see. Thanks for your suggestion. Also another problem, despite her age, she has extra pounds which of course collect in the area.
Reply to doctorno

Cotton underwear, or wear nothing to bed.
If diapers, change more frequently.

Check to confirm the U T I. is cleared by lab test, after finishing the antibiotic.
Ask the doctor to test for other infections or yeast.

Treat for Candida after taking antibiotics. Is she itching/scratching

Use a bidet less wiping. Keep the area dry.

Do use wipes, not toilet paper. But use wipes free of perfumes.
Do not trust the patient to be able to NOT FLUSH the wipes.

Have the patient drink enough water, all day. Never allow water to be restricted because it will be inconvenient to have to use the loo.

Shower or clean the area daily, rinse well with hand held shower. Dry by
blotting towel, or even a slightly warm hair dryer. Imo.

So many doctors are not in favor of the antibiotic Cipro. Ask for something else.
Reply to Sendhelp
doctorno Oct 3, 2019
Thank you send help. Believe it or not, almost all your suggestions we do or have done including the bidet. But I am going to upgrade to a bidet with a dryer. The idea of wipes instead of TP is interesting. Will try that. She has no pain or itching when she was a flare up, just becomes very weak and pale. Thanks again.
(1)
Try flushable wipes and the liquid cystex (not the pills) available at most drug stores in the feminine hygiene section

I would caution that UTIs can lead to sepsis and organ failure
Reply to MsMadge
doctorno Oct 3, 2019
Thank you MsMadge. Liquid Cystex, I will have to ask the druggist how to use, have never heard of this.
(0)
UTIs are becoming are chronic problem for many people, possibly because of widespread resistance to the antibiotics that have been used to treat UTIs. When she gets a UTI, is she having antibiotics prescribed without a culture and drug sensitivity because of the difficulty in collecting a clean sample from her? Perhaps, if she can tolerate it, the next time she appears to have a UTI, it would be worth it to have her catheterized in order to take a good sample? Then her urologist might be able to try antibiotics once again. (I know you didn't mention antibiotics specifically, but I assume they were used in the past for her UTIs.)

I have no personal familiarity with d-mannose, which other have suggested. However, according to your post, d-mannose has already been tried unsuccessfully. Are the UTIs painful for your mother? I know sometimes they are not very painful for the elderly. At 75, I've had 2 UTIs in recent years that I noticed because of urine odor; they were only very slightly painful, and the urologist was not convinced of a UTI until I had a culture. The reason I'm asking is because perhaps her doctors might decide that if your mother is not in pain, at this point in life, she might be OK just living with the UTIs if they remain localized. I had one elderly friend who was being treated at one of the best medical centers in the country who never was able to get rid of chonic UTIs. It was a nusance, but not threatening to her life or quality of life. She died suddenly of something completely unrelated. It sounds like trying to treat your mother's UTIs may be more difficult than just leaving them alone.
Reply to caroli1
doctorno Oct 3, 2019
Thank you for your comprehensive answers. Yes, i many cases we have a culture taken before med treatment and after. last time her urologist did a catheterized test. One problem is the 48 hour wait for the culture.
AS it turned out this last time the bacteria was a different kind that she usually has which required a different RX. THis week she ended in ER, looked like death warmed over. After a couple ours of antibiotics she was fine, so letting her try to exist probably is not an option. But thanks for the suggestions.
(0)
If she has the retention of urine in the bladder it is much more likely that it is her condition and not the wiping causing the problem. I used to get four or more bladder infections every single year. I am a nurse, so sure did know "how to wipe". The thinning of the urethral tissue is what allows bacteria to have an easy climb up after menopause. At one point I was threatened with daily prophylactic cipro (likely no longer used for this, as cipro's side effects have led to it not being prescribed for anything at all) because I could not stop these infections; two climbed up into kidney pyelonephritis. I swear by the supplement called D-Mannose. I take one capsule a day. It works much like cranberry but better and with no acidity. The capsule is sold on Amazon, is about 30.00 for 120. Large and some my age have to break capsule open and put in food (quite tasteless) or buy the powder. I use Source Natural and there are many who make it. Can usually get in the health food stores, as well. I have not in more than a decade now got a single bladder infection (knock wood). I will tell you that as an old nurse I am a "western medicine" gal all the way and have NEVER believed before in any vitamin or mineral or supplements at all. I have recommended to a dog park friend and a facebook friend and they both had the same experience. Please give it a try again to get this in. I don't find that other things work at all. Wishing you good luck. These infections were awful, and as I said, nothing to do with wiping most of the time, but with retained urine, and with thinning walls of the urethra.
DILKimba Oct 2, 2019
AlvaDeer-Try the D'Mannose Powder that you mix into water! I get that from Amazon, and it also has probiotics that are designed for urinary tract health. I take that and 1000mg of Vitamin C. I also use a peri-bottle for cleansing after intimate relations, and haven't had a UTI in 18 mos since I started that regimen. https://www.amazon.com/Zazzee-D-Mannose-Probiotics-Fast-Acting-All-Natural/dp/B01N6X9YBS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=6ZIXO3ADVJ27&keywords=d%27mannose+powder&qid=1570049189&sprefix=D%27Mannose%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-7
(0)
I think you are at the point where you or someone else needs to do the wiping. Have you considered a bidet toilet seat?