Is $600 too much to charge for caring for my mom as she lives with us and I do everything for her?

My husband and I have my mother living with us. She is 83 years old and I do everything for her. We buy all the groceries and I fix all her meals, I do her laundry and put it all away, I change her bedding, take her to and from doctor appointments, we entertain her, we make sure she gets her exercise. We currently ask for 500.00 a month and want to raise it to 600.00 a month. Mom is refusing to pay more rent.

14

Answers

Jeanne, you're amazing. Love your post.

Charging for having another person in the household is definitely not greedy since it costs something to be able to feed them for starters. The more people per household the more food, water, and other utilities will be used. The more people living in a household, the more it will cost to support each one of them. That's why it's so important for everyone to pull their own weight, and I strongly agree with the poster who said not wanting to be put in the poorhouse over this, and I don't blame you. I don't know if this person is even competent, but if not, why not go for guardianship? This would give you troll over everything, including finances.

Parents not paying their fair share is greedy & selfish. Especially if they have the money and are "saving it for inheritance". $600 a month for everything is a bargain. Where can I sign up?

Our mom lived with my sister for 14 months. Sis charged her the same amount she was paying for her subsidized apartment. The suite she had at Sis's was nicer and Sis also provided meals, so this was a real bargain for Mom. Mom was on Medicaid and the county was willing to provide a certain number of hours of in-home cargiving that Sis could take for her efforts or use to hire outside help. Sis took the payment herself. She said it helped her feel validated as doing something worthwhile.

No one in our large family had any qualms about any of this. Now that Mom is in a nursing home her costs are way, way more than they were when she lived with Sis. What Sis did was good for Mom, good for the county, and good for her and her husband.

Why should elders be deprived of the dignity of paying their own way (to the extent that they can)?

Charging parents rent is not crazy or greedy. It is in the same category as charging adult children rent. All adults should pay their own ways to the extent that they can. Not to insist on this is demeaning to all concerned.

Unfortunately, her needs have a price tag no matter where she goes. Our children, as I've said before, are not a safety net against old age. We shouldn't bring them to the world and then charge them for it. Considering her actual needs and occasional whims are being catered to 24/7 the least she can do is contribute to the household just like everybody else regardless of age.

I dont get it. Charging parents rent is crazy......If they offer to give you some $$ thats ok, but telling them outright they need to pay is greedy!

$600 a month? In NYC, she'll be lucky to rent a furnished box to sleep in. Tell her to count her blessings.

There is nothing wrong with every adult in the household contributing....parent, adult child, or other. $600 is a bargain. Elders have a problem with prices.

We took care of my mom and did not charge her anything. Mom ate what we ate and I bought some special things she liked. The utilities did not increase b/c she was living with us. I worked FT and took off work to take her to the doctor. We have plenty of room here and wouldnt think of charging mom "rent". Sadly, mom's dementia got worse and she could not be left alone. She is now in assisted living and has been "paying her way" for 5 years. Be thankful you have your mom now. My mom is there physically but not mentally. I much rather have her like she was 5 years ago.

Yes, see an elder care lawyer, who will show you how to justify the $600 as a valid expense and not a gift. Critical for the Medicaid application process. Meanwhile, look into senior housing for her. It will only get worse.