I've posted elsewhere about my frustration looking after my mother, and mentioned, I think that I have two daughters whom I also look after. The younger has cognitive problems and will never live alone. The elder, who has struggled with mental illness since she was 9 (schizophrenia) finally, 2 years ago, got on a medication that help her so much she was able to start college, and begin to plan a future. Bang--rare side effect that was only just picked up. She has psoriasis arthritis in her toes, heels and spine. Although all her doctors are working together, treatment will be difficult as changing the psychiatric meds could end up --well I don't even want to think about it. At this point I'm just angry, and have no real idea how to help her.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Thanks for the answer. As of now, she thinks she can continue at college with her normal 3/4 load. I will suggest a support group, and if she is interested will look into finding one if she feels she doesn't have the time. She as an apt on the 13th with the rheumatologist and will ask lots of questions.
Helpful Answer (2)

Perhaps you can find some other solutions beyond the meds, as interaction apparently is a concern.

I don't know much about online courses, and they wouldn't appeal to me, but it might be an option, or at least for some of the courses. Don't give up on college just yet! And have her start slow, one course at a time, until she's used to both the arthritis and the study routine.

Learn as much as you an about this form of arthritis, treatments, medical and nonmedical (such as water therapy, acupuncture) and decide whether you want to try them. Meditation and aromatherapy might help. I don't know anyone who has this, though, so I'm just making suggestions w/o knowing the extent of your daughter's condition.

Try to find a support group, either through the diagnosing doctor, the hospital with which he/she is affiliated, a teaching hospital, or a national support group, and learn more about it and how other people handle it. Being with others with a similar condition is I think an excellent way for someone to acclimate to a condition as she'll know she's not alone and can benefit from interaction with others.

I think PT would help, so ask for a script and try a good therapy center; my experience is that ones affiliated with hospitals are the best.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter