She has cancer and can hardly eat or drink.

My mother was in a nursing home on Medicaid when hospice care was provided right where she was. Her needs were attended to more promptly on hospice -- for example, changes in medications did not need the NH doctor's orders, and equipment (such as a geri-chair) was available immediately. Also she had one-on-one volunteer visits. Her nursing home provided good care, but in a terminal situation the speed of the hospice responses was important.

Hospice is paid for by Medicare.

I agree with geewiz, contact NH, and Hospice, and her doctor. My understanding is Hospice will provide services in NH

Gee I know someone who was on medicaid and had hospice are at the nursing home. Barb, speak with the director at the facility. Most SNFs are thrilled when a patient goes on hospice --- because the hospice aide does some of the work of the facility! : - )

Medicaid nursing home beds can be difficult to get, hence waiting lists. Hospice can be done at the same facility. So the answer is no. If you do not like the current facility you can request a change. Speak to the social worker on the moving process. As a friend and not a legal representative, you may not get anywhere with this.