Taking Care of a Father with Alzheimer's Disease
Having a father with Alzheimer's means the caregiver will have to face challenges they never thought of, including memory loss, wandering, Sundowner's Syndrome, mood swings, aggression and trouble caring for themselves. Get the support you need at AgingCare.com
Articles About Father With Alzheimer's
- Father’s Day As a Caregiver: Despite the Changes, He’ll Always Be Your Dad
Father's Day is a great time to remember who your Dad used to be before age-related changes set in. Sometimes you forget how vibrant and caring he was, but the truth is he’s still that person on the inside and he always will be.
- I just moved my father, who has Alzheimer's disease, into a nursing home. I feel so guilty. What can I do?
To overcome the guilt, try reminding yourself that you just took the steps necessary to ensure that your father will be living in a nursing home where he’ll be safe, and able to get the care and attention he needs for Alzheimer's Disease.
- Dad has Alzheimer's. Is it too late for him to name a power of attorney?
If your father's Alzheimer's disease has progressed to the point that he is unable to understand the concept of giving you the right to make his financial decisions, it is too late for him to sign a Power of Attorney (POA).
- Both my parents have dementia. Should I quit my job to care for them?
It is very difficult to care for one parent with dementia, but to have two parents with dementia and to be taking on this task alone is very overwhelming and a daunting task.
- My Father Used to Be So Kind, But Now He's Using Lots of Profanity. How Do I Handle Him?
When I was taking care of my elderly parents (both with early Alzheimer’s not properly diagnosed for over a year), no one warned me that inhibitions gradually fade and that profanity can often occur.
- Dad's Sense of Reality is Gone. What Do I Do?
When your elderly parent has dementia or Alzheimer's enter you father's reality wherever he may be. What your father is thinking and feeling is his reality. It is counterproductive to change it.