Follow

I'm posting this because there's a dearth of knowledge about available alternatives to staying home so you can keep your cat or dog. YES, IT IS POSSIBLE to find assisted living where you can continue your companionship with Fido, Puffy, and maybe your parakeet. My mother lived in an AL where there were many small pets and they added joy to the residents' lives.

Here's a website to help you find a place: www.petfriendlyseniorliving.com. Listing is by state.

I have personal knowledge of such places in Florida. There are at least 20 pet-friendly ALs near where I live in another state. I know of people who have taken their pets with them in California, Maryland, and North Carolina.
If you're one of those who is trying to take care of a parent who needs to be in assisted living but won't go because she can't take her Chihuahua-poo, inform her that she most certainly can be in assisted living with "Sweetbuns" at her side. Get her there. Then reclaim your life.

Pets are sometimes all a person feels they have. To take away their pet is awful.
(0)

In my mom’s AL, the resident had to be able to care for the pet, but there were people to help them do that. For instance, dog walkers for those who never wanted to do it or needed help temporarily. Or even other residents might walk a friend’s dog occasionally.
(1)

I feel exactly the same way as everyone else who posted. A person should only be able to have a pet if they are able to care for them.

It’s not fair to the animal or the staff if they can’t care for them.

JoAnn, I love the idea of a mobile vet and grooming. Dog sitting services are wonderful too.
(0)

Some places do allow it but I'm not sure if they should, it seems to me that once people reach a level of needing help to care for themselves it's doubtful whether they can take proper care of a pet. In the best of both worlds there would be a pet care option available for a fee, that way staff that accepted a job caring for humans aren't coerced into dog poo and kitty litter duty.
(0)

Yes, the resident has to be able to care for it. Feeding, walking and if cat cleaning out the litter box. This is not a duty the aides do.

My nephew started a mobile vet service a few years back. Really took off. I see more popping up and mobile groomers. So away for AL resident to get Vet and grooming services.

I doubt if animals would be allowed in MC or Long-term care.
(1)

The one my father was in allowed pets, but the resident had to be the one taking care of the pet.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter