Follow

I have a family member who is very smart, kind, caring, loving and well mannered.

He was in an environment that was not managed well. People were rude, disrespectful and provoking toward him which led him to get agitated.

These same "professionals" that could not manage their own environment, tried to put all kinds of "mental health LABELS" on my family member, simply because of the actions of others.

I took their advice like a grain of salt and thought "there just may be something wrong with their brain."

I said all that to say this, "Don't you believe everything someone tells you." I don't care if it is a "professional" or who it is. People will try to put some "labels" on you if you will let them. You better be careful. Know that you know that you know.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Not just adults. Kids too are labeled. For example, If they can't sit still for many hours, there's something wrong with them. Everyone needs movement, especially kids. Recess is just as important as the class room.
(1)

I think sometimes people are "labeled" because no one really knows what the problem is. My GFs father with ALZwas "labeled" aggressive in MC. He had punched a fellow resident. I visited one day and notice an aide touch him lightly on the shoulder to redirect him. He shrugged her off and looked like he didn't like the touch. Made me think maybe this is the problem. The other resident touched him and he retaliated.
(1)

Regarding calm, my dad's mood swings go up and down. He needs medicine for anxiety and depression. Trying to get POA, to help him get what he needs.
(1)

Sorry, wanted to clarify, I am not referring to my BIL.

As I look back, I'm thinking of all the "labels" that the "professionals" tried to put on my LO. Glad I can "think for myself" and know when something is not right.

I'm not a follower. I will not go along with something just because Susie says so.

Anyway, had I followed these "professionals," I would have just accepted all these "labels." (not to mention all the meds)

However, I knew it was the ENVIRONMENT that was the problem and not my loved one.

My LO is calm in my home.

I hope I helped someone.

And NO, I am not knocking professionals. As some of us are professionals. I'm just saying. It is what it is.
(2)

Amen Haileybug!

We do live in a world that we can not trust what we are told or that professionals actually know how to be professional, truly gut wrenching when that happens to a vulnerable person.

You keep advocating for your loved ones and sharing your knowledge.

By the way, how is your BIL doing at his new facility? I pray that they are dealing with him in a loving, compassionate manner.
(3)

Absolutely.
How often on Forum have we seen elders being labeled as demented when in fact they have a UTI.
Just last week an OP posted that her Mom had fallen and smashed her head on a curb. She then was moved from a quick hospitalization to rehab, and been given a drug (remeron if I recall at all). The OP was out of town and could not get to her Mom for two weeks and more, and was desperate and so concerned as this WAS NOT HER MOTHER.
You can understand from the standpoint of the Rehab that an elder enters with confusion and they just chalk this up to probable aging dementia. But in this case it was not. She was, the OP was certain, reacting to the drug, or she was perhaps suffering from a fall with a smack to the head. Could have been ANYTHING. Could have been a bleed, could have been a stroke causing fall, could have been a UTI. The OP had had to follow up with Social Worker, just to get to discuss her Mom long enough to say "WAIT, this IS NOT my Mom; something is wrong and you are missing it."
Everything is a mystery to be followed up. Easy labels are just that, easy labels and often too easy with things missed.
You do wonder about people who have no advocates, don't you? I mean we never hear their stories; no one does.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter