Follow

My wife of 47 years has the big "A" . I told her I would take care of
her for as long as I could. I am 77 years old and am slowing. The time is coming where I will not be able to care for her.

So how do I do it now? The answer is get her qualified for Medicaid
and you must start now. The process takes several months. Get in touch with an agency that knows the Medicaid requirements. They will come to
your home to discuss your situation. I thought I would not qualify because of
income and asset limitations. I did qualify and it was all done legally. It did
not cost me anything. They are providing many services to us. They aim
to keep the person in there home as long as possible. After that nursing
home services are available with little or no cost. YOU must start the process
now. It may not be easy but it is worth it.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks, louism.! To add to your advice:
- when researching a facility be sure to actually ask if they accept Medicaid recipients, since not all places do. If you move into a facility that does not accept it and then your LO requires Medicaid, the facility will make you leave.
- be aware that in most cases, being a Medicaid resident usually means your LO will be in a shared room.
- if your LO is already on Medicaid before becoming a resident of a facility, they may be put on a waiting list for their facility of choice, since they have limited Medicaid-dedicated rooms and the existing residents of that facility get first dibs on those.
(1)

louism, thank you for such great advice. As funkygrandma59 had said you have all your ducks in a row.
(0)

Good for you for getting "all your ducks in a row" before they would be needed. That was very smart, and will give you great peace of mind when the time comes that you'll have to place her. God bless you for caring for your wife as long as you possibly can. You're a good man.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter