Follow

This is a private home of a Certified Nurse Aide 24/7 with NO more than two or three private bedrooms for rent for only elderly and need of care individuals?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I echo Babalou's concerns, especially the issues of how many staff. I would add that questions should be asked about their background, investigation, training, hours, etc.

I would also check out your state's corporate licensing department to see how the business is registered, including whether or not there are any hidden investors or owners. Then see if you can check with the IRS to make sure the business is current on taxes. I'd also ask who handles the financial and business aspects of the operation.

You want to make sure that any funds you pay actually go to the CNA, that the business is configured properly and is paying the necessary taxes.

A CNA though doesn't have RN authority; who provides that? Are there visiting doctors? What happens when someone needs medical care beyond what the CNA can provide? If there are contingent medical arrangements, are they to your satisfaction, with doctors that you can investigate to ensure that they're not doctors prowling for business, as some less than stellar doctors are.

Zoning would be an issue as well. If the area isn't zoned residential/commercial or all commercial, there may be an issue of running a business in that area.

I also echo the concerns about emergency situations. Is there a back-up generator?

I can understand that this might be a very caring person trying to help elders and their families, but there are a lot of business issues that need to be addressed.
(2)

I'd want to know just how elderly and what kind of impairments the people living there have? As a group home for seniors with just general age related issues it could be fine, I'm picturing a "golden girls" kind of dynamic. On the other hand if even one individual has higher needs it could be problematic, and there would have to be a clear understanding of the need to transition to more care when a resident's disabilities become too great.
(1)

My question would be, is this a regulated residence? I would guess not...sort of like all the unlicensed daycare centers in any town.

What are your loved one's impairments? Are they of sound mind and simply weak in body? I think that MIGHT be a situation in which I would consider this. For my mom, who has dementia and frequently misinterprets events, I would not be able to trust a private facility with a small number of caregivers and no supervision.

How many caregivers are there for the residents? would this be safe in case of a fire (that's always my go-to question for safety--what happens in a fire? Or a Katrina or a Sandy?) If you are talking about one CNA caring for multiple patients 24/7, then no, it's not possibly safe.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter