Follow

Yesterday I moved my husband to a skilled nursing center. He has Alzheimer’s/vascular dementia. He was very lucid which made it harder. He kept telling me to take him home and it broke my heart. If he was in a MC facility of my choice, It would not have been so hard. Because I can’t afford $6500 a mo, we had to go to a Medicaid approved home. I wanted to keep him at home, but I work FT and can’t take care of him as I should. We have been married 32 yrs and did everything together. I miss him terribly. I just needed to talk. Thanks for listening.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Just wanted to pop in & let you know I am terribly sorry you are going through this. If you cannot take care of yourself, you cannot take care of him. Now, you will be able to spend cherished time with him. (: wishing you well.
(1)

Look into the Grandpad - it's a super easy phone to use and the only people who can call him are those you set up in his contacts. It's like talking via Facetime. My Dad, who can't learn anything new, loves his.
(3)

How are you doing, Anita? I hope that you are feeling a bit better.
(1)

Just want to lift you up… I am so sorry you are going through this. So many of us have cared for loved ones and have had to place them, but when it is a spouse it is a separate animal entirely. So much harder, so much more devastating when it is your other half.
(5)

Your story breaks my heart. I agree with Funky, it is never easy to place a loved one.

It would have been nice for you to have a say in where he was placed. I am sorry that you didn’t. It’s sad that facilities cost so much money.

Even people who have the money for private pay often run out and eventually receive Medicaid.

Of course, you miss him terribly. I hope that you will be able to visit him as often as you like.

Be at peace knowing that he will acclimate to his new surroundings. You absolutely did the correct thing by placing him in a facility where he can get all of his needs met.
(5)

So sorry for your heartache. Such a huge life change for you both must be so hard. Please know my mother spent four years in a nursing home, going from private pay to Medicaid in that time. Her care never changed no matter how it was paid. She was treated competently, with compassion and kindness, throughout. The workers had no idea who pay which way, and did not care. Mom was in the same room the entire time. It was a profoundly sad time for us all, but Medicaid approved facility wasn’t part of the sadness. I’m glad you’ll be available to be your husband’s advocate and encouragement. I wish you both peace
(5)

My heart goes out to you. I'm afraid the worst day is going to turn into the worst few weeks as the transition is very difficult. Give it time to get better. I am not speaking from personal experience, but from the experiences of others. :) Ditto funkygrandma59. Best wishes and prayers for you and your husband.
(2)

I am sorry that you had to make such a hard decision, but it sounds like it was not only best for him but for you as well, and you must take comfort in that.
Placing a loved one is NEVER easy, but it often must be done.
You did the right thing, and your husband will adjust as will you. Please allow the staff to now do their job and get your husband acclimated to his new surroundings. Yes, that will mean staying away for a week or two, and yes that will be hard on you, but it's important for all parties involved.
I wish you the very best as you continue to travel this road with your husband.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter