Follow

We can't have mom apply for Medicaid for about a year so to the 5 year look back. We are going to need to start helping her financially with her care as she has drained all her savings. Will our helping her create a problem when we go to apply?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I don't believe any of the countless laws, rules, regulations or agencies charged with enforcement are inherently mean-spirited. Fact remains that rules regarding financial matters and qualifying for Medicaid are complex and vary widely from state-to-state. No normal person can uncover -- much less absorb -- all info. Please see an Elder Law attorney to get reliable info for your state and situation. Well worth the investment as I'm now learning.
(0)

(all states different) In many Be sure to pay from your account, do not give money or deposit directly to her. Will count as income, there is also a IRS deduction for being caregiver.
(0)

I don’t see why it would. Medicaid will look at her assets, not yours. If you have any doubts about her eligibility or anything that might get her denied, your best bet is to contact an Elder Law Attorney who specializes in Medicaid applications.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter