Follow

Her condition will deteriorate over time, but is there any way of knowing how long she has to live? Could it be as little as a year or possibly 5 to 10 years? I fear the answer is "no way of telling - dementia cases are all different". Had to ask!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My dad was diagnosed 7 years ago. Fully expecting him to go another couple unless he gets sick with something else. He is 96 years old.
(0)

Next to vascular dementia which is the most aggressive of all the dementias and has a life expectancy of 5 years, Lewy Body would be the next most aggressive with a life expectancy of 5-7 years.
So if there is a plus side to Lewy Body dementia, it would be that you know your loved one won't have to suffer as long as say someone with Alzheimer's which can go on for 20 years.
My late husband had vascular dementia, and was diagnosed in July 2018, although he showed symptoms a good year before that and he died in Sept. 2020. I am grateful that he didn't have to continue to suffer in the shape he was in at that point.
And while we hate to lose our loved ones, it's comforting to know that their suffering will be over sooner than later.
Best wishes to you and your wife.
(2)

My 100-yr old Aunt has had advancing dementia for at least 12 years. This is because her body is very healthy (she has no conditions like HBP, diabetes, cancer, etc,) and she receives good daily care... so, she still eats well, is exercised, receives good healthcare. Dementia isn't necessarily a direct cause of death, mostly it is from other age-related health issues, or accidents, like trauma from falling.

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. This forum has so much helpful information and supportive participants. I, too, wish you both peace in your hearts on this journey. Take it one day at a time. (((hugs)))
(0)

reynoldson,

I am so sorry that you and your wife are going through this difficult time. Yes, dementia cases do vary from person to person.

I certainly understand that you are curious as to how long your wife will live. I don’t think anyone can give you a specific answer to your question.

You say that you have received her diagnosis recently. I’m sure that you are still processing this information and sorting out what it all means.

Have you thought about further on down the road regarding her future care? I think if you began to formulate a plan it would help you to feel more secure.

Have you done any reading on the topic or watched any videos on dementia? Do you have any specific questions about anything?

I cared for my mother who lived to be 95. She had Parkinson’s disease and dementia. She took medication. Eventually she went into a hospice care home and died peacefully.

There are many on this forum who have experience with several different types of dementia, so please stick around for responses to your posting.

Wishing you peace as you continue on in your caregiving journey.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter