Follow

I also want you to know that I sent a 2-page letter to Jesse White, Secretary of State, Springfield, IL. I never heard from him even though his name is listed with Naperville DMV. That was in April! Thank you everyone for your supportive comments.

My next step is to visit the location in person and try to get a supervisor's name. I also like the idea of announcing this on TV news. Which station would be interested? Again. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Mj, be glad u don't live in NJ. Of course during COVID the DMV closed on and off. You could not get in unless for an appt. Just before it started my nephews ID expired without a word to me until COVID. The State was allowing DLs to be renewed on-line or by mail but not IDs. You had to come in person and have an appt. Well it was a b***h getting an appt on-line. Then he was told his info was not in the system. A couple of months ago they opened up the DMV office. We stopped and was able to talk to a clerk. Reason his info could not be found...his ID had expired. He was smart that day and had everything he need to renew his ID.

During COVID they moved the ability to register a car and changing title to another location in another County. To be able to get in they suggest u come before it opens at 8am. Friends of ours were there for hours only to be told the facility met its quota for the day.

But we have had good experiences with our DMV. My grandson was having problems on-line getting his licence reinstated. We went up to see if he could get help. This is when the only way you got inside was an appt. The Officer went in and got one of the woman and she told my GSon that the only way he could get a Medical reinstated was coming to the DMV. She made an appt for him the next day.
(0)

This is similar to the "man bites dog" story. A nasty DMV employee is akin to "Dog Bites Man" and is not news because it's normal, but a kind and helpful DMV employee who went above and beyond the call of duty would be news, hence "Man Bites Dog."

I could tell horror stories of DMV employees being terrible to customers. When we moved from Colorado back to California 10 years ago, my elder son at 17 was already a fully licensed driver in Colorado. We went to the DMV in California to get our licenses switched over, and the employee who was "helping" us told me he'd have to take driver's ed over again before he could have a license, then he'd have to have a permit again. I told her that wasn't happening, and she actually said, "He needs to learn how to drive California's roads."

I leaned toward her and said, "He can drive in a snowstorm -- can YOU?" and we walked out.

We went back six months later when he turned 18 and there are no longer restrictions on getting a driver's license. Until then, he drove with his Colorado license, and I told him that if he ever got pulled over to tell the officer that he just moved here a week ago.

It took our family a total of SEVEN trips to the DMV and the AAA to get our licenses and cars registered in California. Needless to say, DMV horror stories are nothing new.
(2)

MJ, Long story short Molly had a dreadful experience at her local DMV with a driver's test. The woman entered the car complaining about how the air conditioner worked, angry and upset, and it went South from there.In her orgiginal post on Forum Molly asked if anything at all could be done. Many made suggestions but some wanted to know exactly what the testing agent did. Molly explained that and the post of her explanations and story went to the "Discussions" area. Someone commented there, and Molly answered in a new post. It is a matter of new folks not being certain about how all this works. I sure didn't, myself in the beginning. Just figuring out the acronyms drove me nuts! I think Molly is wondering if a letter to call to local news might be interested in someone at their local DMV being so abusive.
(1)

Thanks Alva!
(1)

Absolutely no idea what this is in regard to, but I guarantee no news station will be interested in an anedoctal story.
(0)

Molly, you can answer your questions on the same thread that it is asked on. If you open a separate thread for each response it becomes really confusing. Scroll down on your thread and you will see a window that says "comment here" and you can type in your comment. In opening separate threads your responses will be missed. Hope I made sense in explaining it. Appreciate hearing about your experience at DMV.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter