Follow

Here is my complaint why do people on this website suggest disabling weapons gun specifically doesn't anyone understand that if the person doesn't know that the gun is disabled that it won't work but that's not the problem that's what you want right wrong if a person attempts to use a disabled weapon to the defend themselves from an intruder they won't be able to do it and the intruder will most definitely harm them don't get me started on the idea of someone pointing a weapon at an officer who has dementia and doesn't understand that the weapon is disabled officers are trained to defend themselves and will shoot anyone who puts them in danger plus from far away how would an officer be able to tell if the weapons disabled you're putting your loved ones in danger stop it stop suggesting disabling weapons and just take the weapon away completely please we don't need any more bad decisions this is coming from someone who lives in an area with a lot of shootings and tragedies that could have all been avoided had the guns just been taken away instead of disabled

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Josue, I read only a few lines before realizing I cannot read your entire unpunctuated , "stream of consciousness" post w/o getting eye strain.  If I want to read stream of consciousness literature, I'll read James Joyce instead.  

If you want answers, ask the admins, or someone who can help you punctuate, assuming you didn't learn that in school.  

This isn't a criticism; it's a suggestion.  If you want to engage in discussions, people have to be able to read and understand what you're writing.
(3)

Apparently periods have been disabled. ;-)
(4)

Are you familiar with punctuation?
(3)

Huh?
(3)

To be fair, Josue does appear to be a strong advocate with strong opinions concerning elders who have guns. If read carefully, her complaint is to remove the guns of dementia elders as opposed to disabling the guns in a dangerous situation. I get and understand her point.

But now that her point has been made, I don't feel this thread will be beneficial to open for discussion. Strong reactions and opinions have already been expressed. Flame war warnings now issued.

Bringing up the "GUNS" issue is like the advice to avoid talking about politics and religion. Don't do it! Just another post that can and will devolve into the much debated and strongly opinionated GUN topic in the U.S.
Then people will hate, try to condemn other posters for their opinions about the gun topic in general. Go to facebook instead.

She also advocates other topics:
josue1223
Jun 2017
BY MARLO SOLLITTO
[The writing is on the wall: Your parent is no longer safe living at home. Maybe they've started fires by forgetting to turn off the stove. Perhaps they've had several major falls that have landed them in the hospital. Or they could be hoarding, with a house packed so full that emergency personnel would not be able to enter, or the elder not be able to exit in an emergency. Whatever the individual circumstances you face, your loved one refuses to even consider moving to an assisted living facility. You've tried to reason with them, had the talk about senior communities, tried to get them to tour local communities, begged, pleaded and bribed. Nothing works.

What's a caregiver to do when they believe at best grievous harm or at worst death is an imminent possibility if their parent continues living at home? If you have a guardianship you can force someone to move. However, that is the only way to make an elder move from their home. Those without guardianship face a much different scenario.

It's not an easy – or inexpensive process, according to Susan B. Geffen, an elder law attorney, gerontologist and author of "Take That Nursing Home and Shove it!" The courts must get involved in a costly and sometimes highly contentious guardianship proceeding in which someone, a guardian (or conservator) can dictate where an individual will live. In some cases, a family member will initiate this proceeding. Or the county's adult protective services, part of the social services in the county where you live will petition the court. This typically happens when a neighbor or concerned acquaintance reports a perceived danger. Many times, the older adult will not let the social worker or investigator in the door.

"From a legal standpoint, judges value the independence of an individual, including older adults," Geffen says. "The courts will bend over backwards to make sure that these rights are not trammeled even if some of the adult's decisions are colorful."]

I feel, instead of rejecting Josue, (she has been with us for awhile), just avoid further commenting on this post, and report any hateful or inappropriate comments, imo.

Josue, to be understood and heard correctly, can you tone it down, and yes, use punctuation, paragraphs so we can more easily read you in the future?

Enough about guns, in my opinion. There is enough mass hysteria going on, the timing is wrong.

Avoiding this thread, not following. No longer commenting.
(2)

The vast majority of josue1223's post are related to guns. Not to elder care. I am not sure that this person belongs in this group.
(8)

I know far more people than I would care to that have been harmed by the person they are caring for.
It is not just guns that need to be secure in many cases but ANY object that might be used as a weapon.
One friend of mine awoke when her husband grabbed her by the neck and had a knife in his other hand. (And not a butter knife.)
Another friend walked into the house after taking garbage out to face her husband with a gun pointed at her.
Both of these men had LBD. A dementia that is known to have more violent tendencies.
Anytime a call is made to 911 for either police support or for medical support I always suggest that the person calling make sure that they tell dispatch that there are no weapons. I suggest this because in the case of "domestic conflict" the police are on edge and "expect the worst" and I would think going into a situation where a person that has dementia (or other mental illness) they go with guns drawn and that heightens the situation rather than diffuse it.
A person with dementia should not have access to a gun or other weapon since they do not have legal capacity and can not distinguish a "right from wrong"

A comment on your post in particular.
Punctuation would be nice.
(6)

Whew!! That's a lot of words with no punctuation. I don't know if I can figure it out. So after all that, are you saying it is better to “take the weapon away” rather than to disable it. What do you mean by taking it away? Do you mean making it inaccessible? Removing it from the premise? Hiding it in the closet, in the attic, or the basement without disabling it, glosses over the fact it could be found. You say if it's disabled I can't defend myself. But if it's taken away I can't defend myself, either. Confusing??
(6)

Reported.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter