Follow

My dad went through this on and off, along with hallucinations, while he was in hospice. This can be a good or a bad thing to some loved ones. For the ones that are in hospice, these experiences make death less scary. For the loved ones that have relatives in hospice, it can be a frightening thing.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/02/25/hospice-buffalo-death-dreams-study/?fbclid=IwAR1WY72lk5OeHS1UvbCFBDan8bQtnavnlfAMIiAIMIf4ePk8gvjwjiHEnco

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Polar,

I love paranormal stories!
(2)

Has anyone seen the series called Celebrity Ghost Stories? It's free on Amazon Prime. All kinds of celebrities from movies and sports (some very famous people) recount their encounters with ghosts and other paranormal events. It's very interesting.
(1)

My Dad died 2 years ago but his last day is still so fresh.  He went down very fast in last stage congestive heart failure so he was bedridden his last few weeks.  Mealtime, however, was still special for him; and he was happy to know what was coming his way.  His last few days, he could only eat a bite or so. His last day, he was uninterested in his favorite eggs/toast breakfast... and in mild irritation pointed to his left into the empty kitchen (his hospital bed was in the sunroom by the kitchen) and said, “I just want to go have what they are having!”  I asked him to tell me more, and he just said, “All those people over there! I want what they’re having!”
He slipped into a nap, and passed away 3 hours later with all of us there.   Two days later, when we were planning his funeral Mass, the lady helping said, “How do you feel about this reading for your Dad?”  
I got happy goosebumps when she showed it to me: Isaiah 25:6-10...
“On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples
A feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines...” 
I have assurance that this these words are real, my Dad told me so!
(4)

Getkick,

Great story! I love it.
(1)

When my mother was at home on hospice she was nearing death, and the hospice nurse explained almost down to the second of when my mom would pass. Sounds horrid to say but it wasn’t. She also said watch your mothers head because she will start moving her head to look at the people coming for her.
Sure enough my mom started to turn her head all the way to her left then slowly began to move her head
to the right then stopped then moved it again to the right then stopped.
this went on for a few minutes as she slowly continued to move her head to the right. Hospice nurse literally said wow she has a lot of people that have come here for her. Me of course I was completely beside myself but at the same time I felt happy and thrilled to hear she had many people there.
This situation always gave me comfort because I felt my mom was in a good place
I even hollered out to the ppl that I could not physically see, and ask that they watch over me while I’m on this earth.
May seem crazy to some but it was real to me.
(8)

Anonymous1256- thanks for sharing the article.
I do believe in the afterlife because I personally have had experiences with the spirit world. I have seen and heard spirits. So, it's easy for me to believe my own eyes and ears. For those who haven't had any encounter with the other side, it's harder to accept.

When my mother was really sick and we thought she wouldn't make it, she kept seeing my later father in her room. I saw him, too, in the mirror.

I do believe seeing loved ones who have passed helps the dying persons transition to the other side. May we all see our loved ones when we are ready to cross over.
(6)

Thanks Lealonnie. Come to think of it, maybe i saw it mentioned on the movie thread? I could swear it was this forum, I think someone mentioned the movie and I found the book while looking up the movie. But it was a recent discussion....oh well!
(1)

Cali............I searched the name of the book and the only thing that came up with an exact match was a post/comment from Rainmom in 2016 quoting the movie:

" Sometimes I wonder if when my mother finally passes, I might finally be able to properly grieve my dad - but I don't know. So in customary Rainmom fashion I'll end with a movie quote - it's from the film This is Where I Leave You. "It's okay to laugh honey, or to cry. There is no correct response."

NHWM: that's terrible!
(1)

Lealonnie,

I have not read that one but it sounds good too. I lost a friend not long ago white water rafting. His teenage son was drowning and my friend saved his son but lost his life. His son has has suffered with survivors guilt.

My friend came here from France. He was young and broke, then became a chef, then a business man, ended up being a multi millionaire. He married a really good friend of mine.

It was a second marriage for both. I miss him. He loved life, traveled the world. He wasn’t religious but he helped many orphans in India. He did many good things with his fortune.
(1)

Cali,

Have not read that one. What have you heard about it?
(0)

Has anyone read “this is where I leave you”? I thought someone here had recommended it......I have it in my amazon cart but don’t know if I should pull the trigger.
(0)

Thank you for sharing your histories
(1)

NHWM: Oooh, I didn't read that one, thank you!!

Have you read To Heaven and Back, by Dr. Mary Neal? She is a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon who drowned while kayaking on a South American river. She had a NDE and wrote a book about it. WONDERFUL read!
(1)

Sunny,

Very healthy and positive outlook. Good for you!
(1)

Lealonnie,

I read that one. Great book! Check out Howard Storm’s book. Absolutely fascinating story. He was an atheist art professor who experienced an NDE.
(2)

I will check it out. I try to keep an open mind. Faith in the afterlife is crucial for me. If it turns out I was wrong, then, so what. It's brought me much comfort and peace. Either way, I am better off.
(3)

Sunnygirl, since you are on the road to thinking about life after death, have you heard of Dr. Eben Alexander's book Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife? He is a doctor, a scientist who believed only in 'empirical evidence' of things, so was a real skeptic. Until he died and had a profound NDE. And wrote about it in this awesome book. I actually heard him speak at an event here in Denver and he was fantastic. Left me with goosebumps.

https://www.amazon.com/Proof-Heaven-Neurosurgeons-Journey-Afterlife/dp/1451695195/ref=sr_1_1?crid=34GJZNJGSU0XJ&keywords=eben+alexander+proof+of+heaven&qid=1581108099&sprefix=eben+alexand%2Caps%2C948&sr=8-1
(5)

Lealonnie,

Very interesting thought. Could be! 😊
(2)

NHWM: Perhaps God doesn't grant hypocrites and bullies near death experiences when they die on the operating table! Maybe He reserves that privilege for those who truly deserve a glimpse at the afterlife. Nice thought, huh? :)
(8)

Check your library NHWM.
(2)

Cwille,

I would like to read that book. Sounds fascinating.
(1)

Sunny,

Fascinating. The opposite happens too. My hypocritical, super religious brother who has attended his ‘megachurch’ died on the operating table and has absolutely no recall of anything. No profound experience at all! Believe me when I tell you people leave the room when he enters because all he does is preach. preach, preach...in a very judgmental way.

I had to tell him once that if he was my only example of a Christian I would become an atheist.
(4)

I find that I have to think about this topic more and more over the years. There are so many of my friends and family who are passing away. It's heartbreaking really, but, on the upside, I heard this.

One of my colleagues, who works in my office has told of his near-death experience that occurred about 3 months ago. He was not even sick when this happened. (I trust this man as I have known him for many years and he is a man of integrity. He has never been very religious that I am aware of.)

He went into sudden cardiac arrest in the lobby of the hospital. (Smart watch got him there.) His heart stopped several times. He was shocked back with electrical device THREE times by medical staff! Thank God, they saved him and after hospitalization, several medical procedures, treatment, medications, etc. he's back at work part-time! He says that all he remembers is that things were VERY bright and he opened up a book that had photos of his children at different ages throughout their lives. He then had a thought that he was not ready to leave them and he came back to this earth.
(4)

So, on the same note, my uncle John was dying; in bed, comatose, for several days. One day, he sat bolt upright in bed, a broad grin plastered on his face, and yelled "MOM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He died later that afternoon.

His daughter, a gigantic skeptic, was so happy her dad had such an experience before he passed, which obviously comforted him. And wound up, in turn, comforting her.

There is just TOO much evidence out there to stay skeptical anymore. Tons of books, such as cwillie has provided a link to, are available to read on the subject. I've read many of them myself. Hospice nurses are in a unique position to see death regularly, up close and personal, and tend to have a whole library of wonderful stories to share and to write books on!
(4)

I think many things can’t be explained. It doesn’t mean it isn’t real just because it can’t be proven.

You can look up YouTube videos of hospice nurses and find amazing stories. They often say that being with the dying has changed their lives. Most nurses believe what their patients tell them.

Thanks for sharing the news story. Great story that deserves to be told. I love Doctor Kerr who is studying these situations. I found him to be a wonderful, caring and respectful doctor. We need more like him, don’t we?
(3)

My thoughts immediately turned to the book Final Gifts when I saw your posts, have you read it?

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Gifts-Understanding-Special-Awareness-ebook/dp/B005UDIC3E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
(2)

Wow, a fantastic and moving article. I'm relieved for those who "see" their loved ones that most feel comforted and not as afraid. I've saved this article. Thank you for sharing, Anonymous1256!
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter